PřF:C7995 Practical NMR - Course Information
C7995 Practical NMR Spectroscopy of BiomoleculesFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/1. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- doc. RNDr. Radovan Fiala, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Pavel Kadeřávek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Karel Kubíček, PhD. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Radovan Fiala, CSc.
National Centre for Biomolecular Research - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Radovan Fiala, CSc.
Supplier department: National Centre for Biomolecular Research - Faculty of Science
- Students should have basic knowledge of NMR theory, previous passing the course C5320 is an advantage but not absolutely necessary.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- The students will get hands-on experience with using NMR spectrometers with an accent on techniques for spectroscopy of proteins and nucleic acids. All important experimental issues from sample preparation and spectrometer setup and calibration trough data acquisition and processing up to spectra evaluation will be discussed as well as practically performed in the laboratory. At the end of the course, the students will be able to use independently the sophisticated NMR instrumentation for routine measurements of spectra of proteins and nucleic acids, as well as most other common samples.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, the students will be able to use independently the sophisticated NMR instrumentation for routine measurements of spectra of proteins and nucleic acids, as well as most other common samples.
- 1. NMR sample, preparation and handling 2. Spectrometer setup 3. Spectrometer calibrations 4. 1D proton spectroscopy and water suppression techniques 5. 1D NMR spectroscopy of nuclei other than H-1 6. Homonuclear 2D experiments 7. Heteronuclear experiments for natural abundance and isotopically labeled samples 8. Data processing, apodization functions, linear prediction, non-uniform sampling 9. Analysis of protein NMR spectra 10. Analysis of NMR spectra of nucleic acids
- recommended literature
- CAVANAGH, John. Protein NMR spectroscopy : principles and practice. 2nd ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2007. xxv, 885. ISBN 9780121644918. info
- BERGER, Stefan and Siegmar BRAUN. 200 and more NMR experiments : a practical course. Weinheim: Wiley-VCH, 2004. xv, 838. ISBN 3527310673. info
- NMR of macromolecules : a practical approach. Edited by Gordon C.K. Roberts. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993. 399 s. ISBN 0-19-963224-3. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures plus laboratory practice
- Assessment methods
- Written test of NMR theory plus test of practical operation of the NMR spectrometer.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
- Teacher's information