PřF:Z0076 Meteorology and climatology - Course Information
Z0076 Meteorology and climatologyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/2. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- prof. RNDr. Rudolf Brázdil, DrSc. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Kamil Láska, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jan Řehoř (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Rudolf Brázdil, DrSc.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Rudolf Brázdil, DrSc.
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Wed 10:00–11:50 Z4,02028
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- KREDITY_MIN ( 40 )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 17/30, only registered: 0/30, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 16 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is a presentation of basic knowledge from meteorology and its use in climatology with a complex characterisation of these two sciences and with particular emphasises to the atmosphere, basic meteorological elements and their climatological characteristics, general atmospheric circulation, weather forecast, climate-forming processes and factors, classifications of the climate, climate models, climate scenarios and knowledge from the last reports of IPCC.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course, students should be able to: explain meteorological and climatological phenomena and processes which take place in the atmosphere; understand the problem of the weather forecast; learn the way of obtaining of meteorological information; learn climatological regularities; reflect the complex information about mechanism of the climate system, climate-forcing factors and processes for the study of the landscape evolution; explain knowledge about Earth climate types, climate variability and change; delineate influence of the anthropogenic factor on the climate system; learn the latest basic knowledge of the IPCC about climate change.
- Lecture: 1. Meteorology and climatology as sciences 2. Atmosphere and its features 3. Basic meteorological elements and their climatological characteristics I 4. Basic meteorological elements and their climatological characteristics II 5. Basic meteorological elements and their climatological cahracteristics III 6. General atmospheric circulation I 7. General atmospheric circulation II 8. Different sources of meteorological data and information 9. Weather forecast 10. Basic climate-forming factors 11. Climate models 12. Climate change 13. Climate scenarios 14. Impacts of climate change Seminar: 1. Excursion to CHMI Brno 2.-3. Climatography of the selected region 4. Temperature and precipitation indices 5. Basic elaboration of climatological data by software AnClim - introduction 6.-11. Meteorological measurements and observations 12.-13. IPCC materials and new professional studies.
- required literature
- Barry, Roger Graham - Chorley, Richard J. Atmosphere, weather and climate. 9th ed. London : Routledge, 2009. xvi, 536 s. ISBN 0-415-46570-2.
- recommended literature
- BEDNÁŘ, Jan. Meteorologie. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2003. 223 s. ISBN 80-7178-653-5. info
- not specified
- Aktuální materiály IPCC a odborné studie ke klimatické změně podle zpřesnění na přednášce a ve cvičení.
- Teaching methods
- theoretical preparation (lectures), written report of climatography of selected region, calculation of temperature and precipitation indices, practices with meteorological instruments, excursion to CHMI Brno (weather forecast), study of selected IPCC materials
- Assessment methods
- Conditions to obtain credit: 1) participation in class excercises (absence has to be excused in the Information System - IS) 2) preparation of the seminar work according to instructions of excercises leader (at least 18 points from 30) 3) preparation of excercises work according to instructions of excercises leader (at least 9 points from 15) 4) successful results in the test from meteorological instruments and observations (at least 18 points from 30). In case that any part in the above points 2-4) is not fulfilled, credit is not obtained. Examination: oral or written form, from topics specified in the content of lectures.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2021/Z0076