PřF:G8461 Seismology and seismotectonics - Course Information
G8461 Seismology and seismotectonicsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Josef Havíř, Dr. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petr Špaček, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Josef Havíř, Dr.
Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Martin Ivanov, Dr.
Supplier department: Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Wed 10:00–11:50 Gp,02006, Wed 12:00–12:50 Gp,02006
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- PROGRAM ( N - GE )|| G1101 Principles of Geophysics || G1101k Principles of Geophysics
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 32 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course are the following: Basic of seismology, physical aspects of geodynamics and principles of seismotectonics, mainly in view of plate tectonic.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course, students should be able to explain priciples and give main examples of extracting the basic information on global dynamics and seismotectonics in regional to global scale.
- Physics of earthquake (stress, brittle deformations, fault dynamics, seismic cycle)
- Seismic wave
- Seismic ray
- Parameters of seismic sources
- Seismic monitoring
- Non-instrumental seismic data (macroseismic data, paleoseismology, liquification, tsunami)
- Statistics of seismic data (distribution of seismic events, seismic hazard)
- Seismotectonics of plate boundaries
- Intraplate seismicity
- Natural seismicity of Europe
- Imaging, modeling and assimilation in seismology. Edited by Yong-Gang Li. Boston: De Gruyter, 2012. x, 262 p. ISBN 9783110259032. info
- Global tectonics. Edited by P. Kearey - Keith A. Klepeis - Frederick J. Vine. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. ISBN 9781405107778. info
- STEIN, Seth and Michael WYSESSION. An introduction to seismology, earthquakes, and earth structure. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell Publishing, 2003. x, 498. ISBN 0865420785. info
- LAY, Thorne and Terry C. WALLACE. Modern Global Seismology. Academic Press, 1995. 521 pp. International Geophysics Series, Volume 58. ISBN 0-12-732870-X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, exercises
- Assessment methods
- final written test
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
Information on the per-term frequency of the course: Bude otevřeno v podzimním semestru 2021/2022.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2021/G8461