PřF:Bi7007 Bioindication and assessment - Course Information
Bi7007 Bioindication and surface water ecological status assessmentFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. RNDr. Vít Grulich, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Marek Polášek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Vít Grulich, CSc.
Department of Botany and Zoology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Vít Grulich, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Botany and Zoology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ( Bi5200 Botany bachelor thesis I. || Bi5785 Bachel. thesis zool. . I. )&& Bi5080 Basics of ecology
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The lecture deals with principles of bioindication in aquatic environment and gives an overview of methods used for assessment of ecological status of both running and standing waters within the Europe with special attention to the Czech Republic.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able after completing the course: to apply routine methods of sampling and analyzes of biotic components during monitoring of ecological status of surface waters; to evaluate the results of the monitoring programmes; to participate in the development of innovative methods suitable for assessing the status of aquatic biotopes.
- 1. Principles of bioindication.
- 2. Ecological status assessment systems.
- 3. Biological quality elements, stressors, evaluation methods.
- 4. Methods: running water: phytoplankton and phytobenthos.
- 5. Methods: running water: macrophytes.
- 6. Methods: running water: benthic macroinvertebrates
- 7. Methods: running water: fishes.
- 8. Methods: standing water: phytoplankton and phytobenthos.
- 9. Methods: standing water: macrophytes.
- 10. Methods: standing water: zooplankton.
- 11. Methods: standing water: benthic macroinvertebrates.
- 12. Methods: standing water:fishes.
- 13. Programme of biological monitoring of surface waters and intercalibration of methods.
- recommended literature
- FURSE, Mike, Daniel HERING, Karel BRABEC, Andrea BUFFAGNI, Leonard SANDIN and Piet VERDONSCHOT. The Ecological Status of European Rivers: Evaluation and Intercalibration of Assessment Methods. 2006. 555 pp. Hydrobiologia 566. info
- Bioindicators & biomonitors :principles, concepts and applications. Edited by B. A. Markert - A. M. Breure - Harald G. Zechmeister. 1st ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2003. xviii, 997. ISBN 0-08-044177-7. info
- not specified
- Integrated assessment of running waters in Europe. Edited by Daniel Hering. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004. ix, 379. ISBN 1402018045. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, field practice, excursions
- Assessment methods
- oral examination
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught once in two years.
Information on the per-term frequency of the course: jarní semestr 2015 a dále v lichých letech.
General note: Vypisován pouze v lichých letech.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2021/Bi7007