CST:DAJ3 Academic Skills for PhD - Course Information
DAJ3 Academic Skills for PhDPan-university studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 0 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Mgr. Libor Štěpánek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. et Mgr. Štefan Kosztolányi (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- PaedDr. Marta Holasová, Ph.D.
Contact Person: PaedDr. Marta Holasová, Ph.D.
- Upper-intermediate language skills in English, ability to actively participate in class discussions. (B2/C1)
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 2/25, only registered: 1/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/25
- Course objectives
- With the inevitable growth in English-medium courses in higher education, postgraduate
students need three fundamental platforms on which to build their academic skills:
1.insight into the discourse of target English texts used and produced by learners;
2. the ability to understand how, in English, assessment is matched to the taxonomy of thinking that higher education demands; and
3. awareness of the nature of 'linguistic register' in English speech and how it impacts on spoken performance in group situations.
The programme is relevantly focussed on reflecting on and improving each student's academic competence, and included is a practical session on developing physical voice.
- English academic discourse analysis: The L2-medium learner perspective; understanding instructional language for assessment
- Speaking in an academic environment: Formal versus informal English
- Speech development: useful daily habits for clearer speech and accent reduction
- Assessment methods
- The students are expected to actively participate in seminars.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Note related to how often the course is taught: jednorázově formou celodenního semináře.