PdF:A2MK_LDML Children's Literature - Course Information
A2MK_LDML Children's LiteratureFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/24/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Irena Přibylová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lucie Podroužková, Ph.D.
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jana Popelková
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School and Language School Teacher Training in English Language (programme PdF, N-ZS)
- Course objectives
- Students gain basic information about literature for children written in English: development, genres, representatives and books. The literature in focus is reading for teenagers. In the end of the course, students should know how to promote literature in English in their classes, and what to promote.
- Course schedule:
- 1. Introduction, requirements, Oral literature, non-intentional literature, intentional literature. The use of books.
- 2. A very short survey of the development of children's literature; best books for children, book awards, IBBY
- 3. Nursery rhymes, picture books, illustrated books
- 4. Folk tales vs. fantasy and science fiction
- 5. Adventure, boys and girls, animals
- 6. Comics and graphic novels
- 7. Book publishers
- 8. Contemporary theories
- 9. - 12. Student presentations
- 13. Conclusion
- BOBULOVÁ, Ivana. Children's and juvenile literature :(written in English). Vyd. 1. Nitra: Pedagogická fakulta UKF v Nitre, 2003. 189 s. ISBN 80-8050-628-0. info
- HUNT, Peter. An introduction to children's literature. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994. 241 s. ISBN 0-19-219261-2. info
- Literature for children : contemporary criticism. Edited by Peter Hunt. London: Routledge, 1992. ix, 209. ISBN 0415068256. info
- Assessment methods
- attendance and activity/ docházka a činnost v hodinách
tasks and presentations/ úkoly a prezentace
final test/ závěrečný test
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 24 hodin.