- practising phonetic aspect of putonghua from syllable to sentence levels; emphasis on coherent speech
- explaining relevant phenomena through theoretical lectures on phonetic structure of putonghua (both phonological and phonetic)
- regular readings of selected texts
- have basic theoretical knowledge of phonetic structure of putonghua
- be able to produce coherent speech in correct rhythm, place stressed syllables correctly
- be able to place boundaries in linear segmentation correctly
The layout of the course content to single lessons will be tailored to group of students according to their needs.
1. obtained skills consolidation: Achieving the optimal pronunciation of double-syllable words (correctly pronounced initials, finals, tones, qingsheng). Required theoretical complement.
a) segmental level:
- a brief presentation of the chinese syllable hierarchical model based on traditional components; explanation of the specific phonetic features of these components (improves the correct pronunciation of syllable)
- initials: a brief overview of the phonological system based on pinyin; correcting the pronunciation of difficult initials
- finals: a brief overview of the phonological system based on pinyin; correcting the pronunciation of difficult finals (diphthongs, triphthongs, finals)
b) suprasegmental level (prosodic level):
- for double-syllable formations: consolidation of 4-tones combinations, qingsheng, tone sandhi
2. Explanation and training of suprasegmental (prosodical) features of speech. Achieving the optimal phonetic form of sentences in a situational context (adequate layout and adequate realisation of stressed and no-stressed syllables + correct linear segmentation = proper speech rhythm, mastery of the sentence intonation). Specifically:
- stress in Modern Chinese: putonghua as a stress-timed language (parallel to English, contrasting to Czech); sound realization of the stress and the "non-stress"; the relationship between tone and stress
- variable accentuation of double-syllable words
- the principles of the segmentation of the coherent speech, units (prosodic word, prosodic phrase)
- the principles of stressing of sentence members
- sentence stress (neutral vs. logical/contrastive)
- sentence intonation
- expressivity and expression of emotions (the pragmatic level of language communication)
používaný zvukový materiál: zejména Švarný, Oldřich a kol. Hovorová čínština v příkladech I.- IV. Olomouc: UP, 1998. (věty zapsané v prozodické transkripci)
Švarný O., Uher D., Úvod do studia hovorové čínštiny, Olomouc: Vydavatelství UP 1997.
Integrated Chinese : simplified characters. Edited by Yuehua Liu. 3rd ed. Boston: Cheng & Tsui Company, 2010. xxxi, 335. ISBN 9780887276446. info
exercises - practising pronunciation, reading
participation (max. 2 unexcused absences), homeworks, activity,
oral exam in group of 3-4 students
Language of instruction
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.