PřF:Bi7520c Aquatic Ecotoxicology - pr. - Course Information
Bi7520c Aquatic Ecotoxicology - practical courseFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 1 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Klára Hilscherová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
prof. Ing. Blahoslav Maršálek, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jiří Novák, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Karel Brabec, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- prof. RNDr. Luděk Bláha, Ph.D.
Research Centre for Toxic Compounds in the Environment (RECETOX) - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Klára Hilscherová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Research Centre for Toxic Compounds in the Environment (RECETOX) - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- NOW ( Bi7520 Aquatic Ecotoxicology )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to obtain practical experience and skills necessary for the assessment of surface water quality and the impact of various stressors on aquatic ecosystems. These include ability to develop strategy and realize representative sampling of different sample types, detailed characterization of sampling locations, interpretation of bioindications, understanding of water treatment technologies.
- Learning outcomes
- After the course students will be able to understand basic principles of sampling of water, sediments and aquatic biota, plan the sampling strategy for different abiotic and biotic matrices. They will be able to recognise fecal and trophic pollution and bioindications of this pollution, practically assess and discuss various approaches to waste water treatment, critically evaluate and interpret the context of processes in aquatic environment also in relation to the impact of different type of stressors.
The course is realised as several field excursions with practical field work and all activities are realised using modern devices for sampling and measuring of the water quality.
- 1. Practical (field) excursion of lotic and lentic ecosystems affected by various levels of anthropogenic factors.
- 2. Characterization of surrounding and aquatic environment, mapping, sampling protocols, estimation of human effects on the ecosystem.
- 3. Sampling (water, sediments), transport and storage, suggestion of testing scheme (one-species tests, multispecies tests, mesocosms).
- 4. Protocols for locality characterisation, sampling and testing.
- 5. Measurement of oxygen, pH, transparency temperature and other parameters in water directly in the field.
- 6. Sampling of aquatic biota, identification of the main groups of organisms and their bioindication potential
- 7. Field trip to waste water treatment plant, practical demonstration of treatment processes and modern technologies
- Hill, I.R. et al. Freshwater field tests for hazard assessment of chemicals. CRC Press, 1994m Boca Raton, Florida.
- Rand, G.M. Fundamentals of aquatic toxicology. Taylor and Francis, 1995, Washington D.C.
- HARTMAN, Pavel, Ivo PŘIKRYL and Eduard ŠTĚDRONSKÝ. Hydrobiologie. 2. přeprac. vyd. Praha: INFORMATORIUM, 1998. 335 s. ISBN 80-86073-27-0. info
- Teaching methods
- The course is realised as practical field excursion, which is focused on the bioindication by benthic organisms and the ability of sampling water, sediments and aquatic biota.
- Assessment methods
- Requirements for the credit: active presence at the excursions
students have to prove the ability to collect samples of sediments, plankton and water and recognize the type of pollution and the ability to measure basic chemical and physical parameters of water quality in the field as well as understanding of current water treatment technologies
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2018/Bi7520c