CST:DAJ2 Academic Writing II - Course Information
DAJ2 Academic Writing IIPan-university studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0. Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Guaranteed by
- PaedDr. Marta Rybičková, Ph.D.
Contact Person: PaedDr. Marta Rybičková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Language Centre
- Upper-intermediate language skills in English, ability to actively participate in class discussions and basic experience in academic writing. (B2/C1)
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/25, only registered: 0/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/25
- Course objectives
- This two-day course is designed to provide PhD students, whose mother tongue is not English, with an opportunity to take their academic writing skills in English to a higher level, specifically in relation to their own discipline.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
1.understand and use both generic and subject specific academic vocabulary
2.read and evaluate texts in appropriate ways to make use of them in writing
3.reference academically using the Harvard Referencing System
4.understand different essay styles / structures
5.support premises and arguments (with explanations / quotes / statistics)
6.evaluate strengths/weaknesses of written work
7.know how to write a successfully introduction, main body paragraph and conclusion
- The course will cover the following areas:
- 1.Introduction to the AWL & how to focus on discipline-specific vocabulary
- 2.Understanding the different structures of academic writing
- 3.Evaluating sources
- 4.Writing introductions & conclusions
- 5.Referencing (quoting & paraphrasing)
- 6.Paragraphing (ensuring cohesion)
- 7.Expectations of literature reviews
- 8.Improving & revising work
- Teaching methods
- block sessions, peer-review, presentations by professionals
- Assessment methods
- The students are expected to actively participate in two seminars which will have the form of a class peer discussion with experts from abroad. They will also be expected to play an active role in their writing process.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught only once.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Note related to how often the course is taught: Termín a místo konání: 10.-11. září 2013, Otevřená zahrada Nadace partnerství, Údolní 33, Brno. Kurz je určen studentům doktorského studia. Je bezplatný.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: Dvoudenní kurz.
Information on course enrolment limitations: minimální počet studentů 10
- Teacher's information