CST:DAJ2 Language Skills - Course Information
DAJ2 Language Skills for EmployabilityPan-university studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Anjuli Pandavar, PhD (lecturer)
PhDr. Mgr. Libor Štěpánek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PaedDr. Marta Rybičková, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Mgr. Libor Štěpánek, Ph.D.
Contact Person: PaedDr. Marta Rybičková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Language Centre
- Upper-intermediate language skills in English, ability to actively participate in class discussions. (B2/C1)
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 1/25, only registered: 0/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/25
- 5 sessions Topics: 1) General principles of CV/cover letter writing Introduction: What are CVs for? (Course overview and aims; o The 'what' and 'why' of CVs - how CVs fit into the overall recruitment process; The differences between CVs aimed at academic, public sector and private sector organizations. Your personal brand - understanding what you offer Researching the organization Researching the role. 2) CV writing Structure: Choosing the format that shows you at your best ‘CV speak’: How CV English differs from academic writing style What to include: the profile paragraph, ‘career objectives and hobbies’ paragraph What to leave out. 3) Cover letter writing What are cover letters for? Dos and Don’ts A useful structure for cover letters Conclusion. 4) Summary and discussion How do CVs and cover letters fit into your online presence; How to use Linkedin to support your application; How to improve your CV and cover letter writing – asking for feedback; Exploring the cultural context of English-language organizations – how might English language employers’ expectations differ from those of Czech Employers? (group discussion). 5) Submissions of students’ CVs and cover letters. Here teacher suggests students are given an opportunity to apply the ideas presented in the seminars to their CV and cover letter writing. These ideally should be in support of a real job application to a real organization, past, present or future).
- Teaching methods
- block sessions
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Note related to how often the course is taught: time will be specified.
Information on course enrolment limitations: minimální počet studentů 10
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/cus/spring2020/DAJ2