ESF:MPH_STRP Corporate Strategic Management - Course Information
MPH_STRP Corporate Strategic ManagementFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Ing. Viliam Záthurecký, MBA, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Viliam Záthurecký, MBA, Ph.D.
Department of Corporate Economy - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Vlasta Radová
Supplier department: Department of Corporate Economy - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- (! MPH_STMA Strategic Management )&&(! MPH_ASTM Strategic Management )&&(! NOWANY ( MPH_STMA Strategic Management , MPH_ASTM Strategic Management ))&& OBOR ( PEM )
The course of strategic management of a business company provides information on and knowledge of the principles of application of analytical methods in a company; it is designed as a cross-section subject interweaving all the aspects and topics used in business economics and business management. The subject provides guidance to ensuring business success in market economy, anticipating market opportunities and possible solutions to company’s problems of a strategic character. Lectures combine theoretical knowledge and practical guidelines for strategic analysis of business processes, in particular for creation of new strategic goals, visions and recommendations for senior management. The way lectures are organized is that of transition from general information, via specific business analysis to the ability of a student and a team to propose a new business strategy. The issue is discussed in terms of external environment of a company as well as from the perspective of internal factors, with a view to creating a quality description of the current situation and proposing solutions for business management.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 150 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/150, only registered: 4/150
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Business Management (programme ESF, N-EKM)
- Course objectives
- Strategic management (PHSTRP)
The focus of the course of Strategic management is on the ability to understand the basics of creating a strategic concept of modern enterprise management. The main objective of the course is to understand and become acquainted with the functions, substance and methods of strategic management. The course is focused mainly on ownership and the definition of concept of business strategy and its strategic objectives, strategic diagnosis, monitoring and forecasting a company’s development. Attention is also paid to arguments justifying the strategic management’s vital importance and role in the system of corporate governance and management. In addition, it leads to a description of applications of all the methods of evaluation and formulation of corporate strategy for business management. They are namely methods enabling a company to analyze the industry in which it does business and to forecast its future development, understand the principles of competition, competitiveness and creating a competitive advantage in the enterprise, understand their own position and to convert this analysis into competitive business strategies. Attention is also paid to the impact of competitive strategy on the internal environment of a company and its changes. The course consists of lectures and seminars. The goal of seminars is to practicse creating strategies through case studies. Requirements for granting the credit: active participation in the seminars. The form of the exam: defence of seminar paper - colloquium.
At the end of the course students will be able to understand and explain the basics of strategic decision analysis, to identify which markets and parts of the market the analysed company can place their products or services on. Students will also be able to create and use devices and procedures to develop an effective business strategy, including the projection the future development of the company, and to anticipate future problems and opportunities. Students will be able to create clear goals and directions for the future of the company. However, the basis will be to create completely rational considerations concerning future development of the company in terms of its economic - financial indicators and other business analysis to improve strategic decision-making.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course the student will be able to identify the basic strategic procedures of the corporate management in the field of strategic management. The student will also be able to understand, understand and explain the basics of strategic decision making, will be able to identify which markets and parts of the market can place the products or services of the analyzed enterprise. The student will be able to create and use resources and procedures to develop an effective corporate strategy, including creating business premise, anticipating future problems and opportunities. The student will be able to create clear goals and directions for further development and future of the company from the strategic point of view and the theory. The student will be able to recognize in a competitive relationship whether these are indifferent relationships, antagonistic or relationships based on the promotion of the company's own competitive advantage. However, the basis will be to create entirely rational reflections on the future development of the company in terms of its economic and financial indicators and other business analyzes to improve strategic decision making.
- 1) theoretical-metodological basics of strategic management, strategic relationship and relations, importance of information for dealing with strategic relation, development tendencies of strategic management, important authors and their work, basic approaches to strategic management 2) strategic management models, strategic management paradigm, strategic management as a corporate process, models of strategic management process (main stream, logical incrementalism, Greiner´s model etc.), strategic plannning cycle and its importance for mission and vision 3) company mission, company mission - mission formulation, areas and layers of strategy, company goals, goals setting, shareholder and stakeholder approach to company, stakeholder influence analysis 4) external analysis STEP analysis, analysis of branch economic characteristics, analysis of powers in the branch, method of scenario creation, method 4C 5) competition analysis, branch competition analysis, Porter´s model, strategic maps, competitor analysis, branch attractivity analysis 6)identification of company competitive position, internal analysis, strategy evaluation, analysis of results in each area, sensitivity analysis of a company, portfolio analysis, SPACE analysis, analysis of strategic groups 7) analysis of success factors, key success factors, competitiveness analysis, SWOT analysis, models of company success 8) strategic choice, comparative analysis, strategic alternatives generation, strategic types (integrating, intensive, diversification, defending), right strategy choice, analysis of critical success factors 9)strategy implementation, organization structure, organizational processess, role playins 10) strategic change managment, steps in strategy creation process, generic competitive strategies, organizational preparation for srategy implementation, reconfiguration of operational processess, strategy implementation with the support of planning and administrative systems Tematic plan of seminars 1. 2. 3. First presentaion of teams, description of a company is discussed 4.5.6 second presentation of teams, stratégy analysis is discussed inclluding suggestions for implementation according to methodical processess 7. final grading - colloquium, presentation for jury, best seminar work competition.
- required literature
- KEŘKOVSKÝ, Miloslav and Oldřich VYKYPĚL. Strategické řízení : teorie pro praxi. Vyd. 1. Praha: C.H. Beck, 2002. xii, 172. ISBN 807179578X. info
- recommended literature
- BARTES, František. Konkurenční strategie firmy. Vyd. 1. Praha: Management Press, 1997. 124 s. ISBN 80-85943-41-7. info
- HRON, Jan, Ivana TICHÁ and Jan DOHNAL. Strategické řízení. 2. vyd. Praha: Česká zemědělská univerzita, 1995. 221 s. ISBN 80-213-0255-0. info
- SCHOLES, Kevan. Cesty k úspěšnému podniku : stanovení cíle, techniky rozhodování. Edited by Gerry Johnson. Vyd. 1. Praha: Computer Press, 2000. xxviii, 80. ISBN 8072262203. info
- PORTER, Michael E. Konkurenční strategie :metody pro analýzu odvětví a konkurentů. Translated by Karel Kvapil. Praha: Victoria Publishing, 1994. xv, 403 s. ISBN 80-85605-11-2. info
- STADLER, Susanne. Strategický management :nástroje, aplikace. Translated by Magda Schulmeisterová. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2000. 258 s. ISBN 802102304X. info
- Teaching methods
- Preparing for the successful completion of this course is to prepare and create a specific case studies on strategic analysis of the selected company, followed by the presentation, where is the defense before the commission of teachers. Any copying, keeping a record of tests or carrying the tests out, using forbidden aids including any communication devices or any other breach of objectivity of the exam is regarded as a failure to meet the obligations of the subject and as a serious breach of study regulations. As a consequence, the teacher grades the student with "F" and the dean is allowed to initiate a disciplinary action, which might lead to the termination of the studies.
- Assessment methods
- The duty of a student, a team member, is to present one seminar paper in a team – the subject of the seminar paper is a strategic analysis of a selected firm. Each team will consists of 5 students, maximum; the quality of a seminar paper will be taken into consideration in the final evaluation. Division into teams will be carried out at the first two meetings. Teams will also be able to sign up and agree on a specific date of their performance. Dates of presentations will follow the schedule of lectures and seminars. Each presentation must be made in MS PowerPoint. Failure to keep the date of the presentation, without proper excuse is considered as non-fulfilment of prerequsites for taking the exam.
The course finished with an exam in the form of a colloquium. For successful completion, students must present a seminar paper in a team by means of PowerPoint presentation and free interpretation. There won’t be any test in the course of the semester but students are recommended to continuously check the acquired knowledge in self-correction tests.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on course enrolment limitations: pouze pro studenty oboru PEM
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/econ/autumn2020/MPH_STRP