ESF:MPH_STRP Corporate Strategic Management - Course Information
MPH_STRP Corporate Strategic ManagementFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Ing. Viliam Záthurecký, MBA, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Viliam Záthurecký, MBA, Ph.D.
Department of Corporate Economy - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Vlasta Radová
- Wed 10:15–11:00 P103
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
MPH_STRP/2: Wed 12:50–13:35 P103, V. Záthurecký
MPH_STRP/3: Wed 11:05–11:50 P103, V. Záthurecký
- The course of strategic management of a business company provides information on and knowledge of the principles of application of analytical methods in a company; it is designed as a cross-section subject interweaving all the aspects and topics used in business economics and business management. The subject provides guidance to ensuring business success in market economy, anticipating market opportunities and possible solutions to company’s problems of a strategic character. Lectures combine theoretical knowledge and practical guidelines for strategic analysis of business processes, in particular for creation of new strategic goals, visions and recommendations for senior management. The way lectures are organized is that of transition from general information, via specific business analysis to the ability of a student and a team to propose a new business strategy. The issue is discussed in terms of external environment of a company as well as from the perspective of internal factors, with a view to creating a quality description of the current situation and proposing solutions for business management.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 84 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/84, only registered: 0/84, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/84
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Strategic management (PHSTRP)
The focus of the course of Strategic management is on the ability to understand the basics of creating a strategic concept of modern enterprise management. The main objective of the course is to understand and become acquainted with the functions, substance and methods of strategic management. The course is focused mainly on ownership and the definition of concept of business strategy and its strategic objectives, strategic diagnosis, monitoring and forecasting a company’s development. Attention is also paid to arguments justifying the strategic management’s vital importance and role in the system of corporate governance and management. In addition, it leads to a description of applications of all the methods of evaluation and formulation of corporate strategy for business management. They are namely methods enabling a company to analyze the industry in which it does business and to forecast its future development, understand the principles of competition, competitiveness and creating a competitive advantage in the enterprise, understand their own position and to convert this analysis into competitive business strategies. Attention is also paid to the impact of competitive strategy on the internal environment of a company and its changes. The course consists of lectures and seminars. The goal of seminars is to practicse creating strategies through case studies. Requirements for granting the credit: active participation in the seminars. The form of the exam: defence of seminar paper - colloquium.
At the end of the course students will be able to understand and explain the basics of strategic decision analysis, to identify which markets and parts of the market the analysed company can place their products or services on. Students will also be able to create and use devices and procedures to develop an effective business strategy, including the projection the future development of the company, and to anticipate future problems and opportunities. Students will be able to create clear goals and directions for the future of the company. However, the basis will be to create completely rational considerations concerning future development of the company in terms of its economic - financial indicators and other business analysis to improve strategic decision-making.
- 1) Developments of strategic management. Rise and development of strategic management. Eminent authors and their works. Basic approaches to strategic management. 2)Strategic management models. Selected models of strategic management process (main stream, logic incrementalism, Greiner’s model etc.) 3) Company’s mission. Company’s mission - statement of a mission. Company’s goals, their setting. Shareholders’ and stakeholders’ concept of a company. Shareholders’ influence analysis. 4) Analysis of external environment. STEP analysis, analysis of economic characteristic of the industry, driving force analysis in the industry. 5) Competition analysis. Competition analysis in the industry – Porter’s model, strategic maps, competitors analysis, attractivity analysis of the industry. 6) Analysis of internal environment. Current strategy evaluation, results analysis in individual areas, company sensitivity analysis, portfolio analysis, SPACE analysis. 7) Analysis of success factors. Key success factors, competition analysis, SWOT analysis. 8) Strategy selection. Generating strategic alternatives, strategy selection, types of strategies (integrating, intensive, diversification, defensive), selection of a suitable strategy. 9) Strategy implementation. Organizational structure, organizational processes, assigning roles. 10) Strategic change management. Organizational preparation for strategy implementation, reconfiguration of operating processes, strategy implementation with planning and administrative support. Thematic plan of seminars: 1.2.3. First presentation of teams Description of a company according to the assigned structure – presentation and discussion. 4.5.6. Second presentation of teams Analysis and strategy of a company including a proposal for its implementation in accordance with chosen methodical procedures . presentation and discussion 7. Final assessment.
- KEŘKOVSKÝ, Miloslav and Oldřich VYKYPĚL. Strategické řízení : teorie pro praxi. Vyd. 1. Praha: C.H. Beck, 2002. xii, 172. ISBN 807179578X. info
- BARTES, František. Konkurenční strategie firmy. Vyd. 1. Praha: Management Press, 1997. 124 s. ISBN 80-85943-41-7. info
- HRON, Jan, Ivana TICHÁ and Jan DOHNAL. Strategické řízení. 2. vyd. Praha: Česká zemědělská univerzita, 1995. 221 s. ISBN 80-213-0255-0. info
- SCHOLES, Kevan. Cesty k úspěšnému podniku : stanovení cíle, techniky rozhodování. Edited by Gerry Johnson. Vyd. 1. Praha: Computer Press, 2000. xxviii, 80. ISBN 8072262203. info
- PORTER, Michael E. Konkurenční strategie :metody pro analýzu odvětví a konkurentů. Translated by Karel Kvapil. Praha: Victoria Publishing, 1994. xv, 403 s. ISBN 80-85605-11-2. info
- STADLER, Susanne. Strategický management :nástroje, aplikace. Translated by Magda Schulmeisterová. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2000. 258 s. ISBN 802102304X. info
- Teaching methods
- Preparing for the successful completion of this course is to prepare and create a specific case studies on strategic analysis of the selected company, followed by the presentation, where is the defense before the commission of teachers.
- Assessment methods
- The duty of a student, a team member, is to present one seminar paper in a team – the subject of the seminar paper is a strategic analysis of a selected firm. Each team will consists of 5 students, maximum; the quality of a seminar paper will be taken into consideration in the final evaluation. Division into teams will be carried out at the first two meetings. Teams will also be able to sign up and agree on a specific date of their performance. Dates of presentations will follow the schedule of lectures and seminars. Each presentation must be made in MS PowerPoint. Failure to keep the date of the presentation, without proper excuse is considered as non-fulfilment of prerequsites for taking the exam.
The course finished with an exam in the form of a colloquium. For successful completion, students must present a seminar paper in a team by means of PowerPoint presentation and free interpretation. There won’t be any test in the course of the semester but students are recommended to continuously check the acquired knowledge in self-correction tests.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Nezapisují si studenti, kteří absolvovali předmět PHSTRP.
Information on course enrolment limitations: max. 20 cizích studentů; cvičení pouze pro studenty ESF
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses