FI:I002 Algorithms I - Course Information
I002 Design of Algorithms IFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium), z (credit).
- doc. RNDr. Tomáš Pitner, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Libor Škarvada (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Mojmír Křetínský, CSc.
Department of Computer Science - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: RNDr. Libor Škarvada
- ! IB002 Algorithms I &&! I502 Algorithms I
Ability to read and write simple programs in at least one functional and one imperative programming language is required.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course presents basic techniques of the analysis of algorithms, data structures, and operations. It is aimed at proving the correctness of algorithms and their efficiency. Basic algorithmic concepts and constructs are presented without any direct binding to a concrete programming language and without requirements of an immediate program implementation. The goal is to make the students know how to work with the algorithms themselves without any implementation details. It enables to present rather broad scope of techniques used in functional, imperative as well as object-oriented languages.
- Basic analysis of algorithms: Correctness of algorithms, input and output conditions, partial correctness, convergence, verification.
- The length of computation, algorithm complexity, problem complexity. Asymptotical analysis of time- and space complexity, the growth of functions, application of recursive relations in analysis of algorithms.
- Fundamental data structures: Lists, pushdown stacks, queues. Hashtables. Binary search trees, balanced trees, representation of sets.
- Sorting algorithms: quicksort, mergesort, heapsort, lower bound for complexity of sorting.
- Basic graph structures: Representation of graphs. Depth-first and breath-first traversal.
- Assessment methods (in Czech)
- Kurs veden formou přednášek a je ukončen závěrečnou písemnou zkouškou.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/spring2003/I002