FI:IB015 Intro to Functional Prog - Course Information
IB015 Introduction to Functional ProgrammingFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Jiří Barnat, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Marek Klučár (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Matej Kollár (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tomáš Szaniszlo (seminar tutor)
RNDr. David Šafránek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Adam Šiška (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tomáš Zábojník (seminar tutor)
Mgr. et Mgr. Tomáš Sklenák (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Mojmír Křetínský, CSc.
Department of Computer Science - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Jiří Barnat, Ph.D.
- Thu 10:00–11:50 D1
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
IB015/02: each odd Thursday 14:00–15:50 B130, D. Šafránek
IB015/03: each even Tuesday 16:00–17:50 B311, A. Šiška
IB015/04: each odd Tuesday 16:00–17:50 B311, A. Šiška
IB015/05: each even Tuesday 18:00–19:50 B130, T. Szaniszlo
IB015/06: each odd Tuesday 18:00–19:50 B130, T. Szaniszlo
IB015/07: each even Tuesday 8:00–9:50 B130, T. Zábojník
IB015/08: each odd Tuesday 8:00–9:50 B130, T. Zábojník
IB015/09: each even Monday 10:00–11:50 B130, M. Klučár
IB015/10: each odd Monday 10:00–11:50 B130, M. Klučár
- There are no special prerequisities apart from the basic math skills (on the secondary-school level), and certain aptitude for abstract reasoning.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 17 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The students get acquainted with functional programming paradigm. Haskell enforces purely functional programming style without side effects, which brings on programming habits, useful also in imperative languages.
- Basic notions: term, value, evaluation step.
- Lambda abstraction.
- Higher-order functions, partial application, currying.
- Simple types: ground types and type constructors, product types.
- Polymorfic types, typing.
- User defined type constructors, sum types, recursive types; definitions by patterns.
- List constructors, list enumeration and list comprehension.
- Evaluation order, strict vs. lazy reduction.
- Infinite data structures.
- Recursive functions, operations on lists and trees, time complexity.
- THOMPSON, Simon. Haskell :the craft of functional programming. Harlow: Addison-Wesley, 1996. xx, 500 s. ISBN 0-201-40357-9. info
- Teaching methods
- The course is organized as a series of lectures, plus a set of exercises, where the students get practice with solving various problems.
- Assessment methods
- The evaluation consists of one obligatory midterm written test (32%) and a final written exam (68%). The final grade can be further improved by additional "bonus points" which can be acquired for solving selected exercises.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught each semester.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information