FSS:PSY117 Statistics - Course Information
PSY117 Statistical Analysis in PsychologyFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Mgr. Stanislav Ježek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jan Širůček, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Pavol Hašan, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. Mgr. et Mgr. Jan Šerek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Bc. Dana Peňázová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Stanislav Ježek, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Stanislav Ježek, Ph.D.
- Wed 8:00–9:40 P31 Posluchárna A. I. Bláhy
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
PSY117/SB: Wed 11:00–11:40 U35, S. Ježek
PSY117/SC: Wed 12:00–12:40 U35, J. Širůček
PSY117/SD: Wed 13:00–13:40 U35, J. Širůček
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 29 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main objective of the course is to introduce statistics as a part of psychology and the elementary statistical concepts used in psychological research. Students will learn to passively and actively use these concepts. They learn to prepare data for analysis, compute elementary statitsics, test elementary hypotheses. They also learn to read and communicate statistical findings both in Czech and English.
- 1. Data matrix, types of variables.
- 2. Graphical representation of data, frequencies and ditribution.
- 3. Measures of central tendency and variability, percentiles, z-scores.
- 4. Measures of association, graphical representation. Partial correlation.
- 5. Linear regression. 6. Probability, probability distributions. 7. Statistical inference, point vs. interval estimates. 8. Statistical hypothesis testing, significance, power, effect size, t-tests. 9. Basic tests for nominal and ordinal variables 10. One-way ANOVA.
- Teaching methods
- lecture, problem solution demonstration, group discussion, online discussion forum, critical reading, review writing, homework
- Assessment methods
- 3 written tests during semester (1/3 of total grade), 1 semester paper (1/9 of total grade), final written exam (5/9 of total grade).
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Cvičení je děleno na tři skupiny.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information