LF:DSAS01 Acquisition of scientific info - Course Information
DSAS01 Acquisition of scientific informationFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught partially online.
- Mgr. Lukáš Plch (lecturer)
Mgr. Jiří Kratochvíl, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Petr Sejk (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jiří Kratochvíl, Ph.D.
Central Library - Specialized Units - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Mgr. Lukáš Plch
Supplier department: Central Library - Specialized Units - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- DSAS01/Databases: No timetable has been entered into IS.
DSAS01/Citing: No timetable has been entered into IS.
DSAS01/Metrics: No timetable has been entered into IS.
DSAS01/Predator: No timetable has been entered into IS.
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- (! DSVIz01 Acquisition of scientific info && ! DSVIz01e Acquisition of scientific info && ! DSAS01 Acquisition of scientific info ) && ! NOWANY ( DSVIz01e Acquisition of scientific info && DSVIz01 Acquisition of scientific info )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 40 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 2/40, only registered: 0/40
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 224 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course, student should be able to:
- effectively search the fultexts of scientific papers and books on the specific topic in the library catalogues and online resources (internet, databases tec.);
- evaluate the scientific quality of found information;
- acquire information to his/her research and academic writing;
- apply the basic rules of publication ethics;
- correct quotation and making the bibliographic references according to recommended citation styles;
- avoid the risk to publish in predatory journals
- Learning outcomes
- After completing this course, student will be able to:
- search full texts of research books and journals in libraries; and online databases on your own;
- assess the relevance of the retrieved information correctly;
- write a research text (article, master’s thesis, etc.);
- cite sources correctly in accord with publication and citation ethics, i.e. avoiding plagiarism;
- use online applications that facilitate citing or enable you to manage your publication activities;
- avoid the risk of publishing in a predatory journal.
- 1. Verification of an actual knowledge before the start of the course 2. Effective searching in online databases. Evaluation of the quality of websites 3. Scientific writing, publication and citation ethics 4. Scientometry: Journal Citation Reports, Impact factor. H-index. 5. Predatory journals. Open Access. 6. An introduction to the pedagogy 7. Verification of an actual knowledge
- required literature
- DAY, Robert A. and Barbara GASTEL. How to write and publish a scientific paper. 6th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. xv, 302. ISBN 9780521671675. info
- recommended literature
- BOOTH, Wayne C., Gregory G. COLOMB and Joseph M. WILLIAMS. The craft of research. 3rd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2008. xvii, 317. ISBN 9780226065663. info
- HOCK, Randolph. The extreme searcher's Internet handbook : a guide for the serious searcher. 2nd ed. Medford, N.J.: CyberAge Books, 2007. xxvii, 326. ISBN 9780910965767. info
- BELL, Suzanne S. Librarian's guide to online searching. Westport, Conn.: Libraries Unlimited, 2006. xvii, 268. ISBN 9781591583264. info
- The researcher's toolkit : the complete guide to practitioner research. Edited by David Wilkinson. First published. New York: Routledge, 2000. xvi, 135. ISBN 0415215668. info
- Teaching methods
- blended learning
- Assessment methods
- Course conditions: Passing not ranked pre-test and post-test and submissing tasks in deadlines specified by the teacher.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Ukončení zápočtem
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 26.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
Completing the course is suggested in the first year of Ph.D. study.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/autumn2020/DSAS01