LF:VSAJ0222 English 1 II -p - Course Information
VSAJ0222 English Language 1 II - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Zuzana Handlová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jana Klapilová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Marie Lahodová Vališová (seminar tutor)
Ing. Katarína Lexová, M.A. (seminar tutor)
Wei-lun Lu, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Špácová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. et Mgr. David Zelený (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Jana Vyorálková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Language Centre
- VSAJ0121 English 1 I -p
General English at the B2 CEFR level. The knowledge of specialist discipline-specific vocabulary covered in the ZLAJ0121 English 1 I course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Dentistry (programme LF, M-ZL) (4)
- Course objectives
- The course objective is to develop students' receptive (reading, listening) and productive (speaking, writing) English language skills at level B2. The course also seeks to develop in students knowledge of specialized discipline-specific vocabulary, academic presentation and writing skills for effective doctor-patient, doctor-doctor and doctor-nursing staff communication.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students should be able to describe and explain terms related to selected bodily systems; apply medical language in doctor-patient, doctor-doctor, and doctor-nursing staff communication; present and discuss specialized topics.
- U1 Presentation and Letter of Referral, U2 Reproduction, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, U3 Oncology I – Cancer and Career in Oncology, U4 Oncology II – Breaking Bad News, U5 Doctor Burnout and Patient Safety, U6 Respiratory Medicine, U7 Cadaveric Dissections and Aspects of Death, U8 Midterm test and oral exam training, U9 Urology, U10 Neurology and Dealing with Elderly Patient, U11 Psychiatry and Personality Traits, U12 Dermatology, U13 Endocrinology
- MCCARTER, Sam. Medicine 1. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. 1 CD. ISBN 9780194023030. info
- MCCARTER, Sam. Medicine 2. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009. 1 CD. ISBN 9780194569583. info
- GLENDINNING, Eric H. and Ron HOWARD. Professional English in use : medicine. 1st ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. 175 s. ISBN 9780521682015. info
- GYŐRFFY, Mária. English for Doctors. 1st ed. Praha: Triton, 2001. 226 pp. ISBN 80-7254-203-6. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate students of English : with answers. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. x, 379. ISBN 0521537622. info
- ŠTĚPÁNEK, Libor, Janice DE HAAFF, Alena HRADILOVÁ and David SCHÜLLER. Academic English – Akademická angličtina: Průvodce anglickým jazykem pro studenty, akademiky a vědce (Academic English: a guide for students, academics and scientists). Praha: Grada, 2011. 224 pp. ISBN 978-80-247-3577-1. info
- Teaching methods
- seminars, discussions, pair work, group work, home assignments, reading, presentations
- Assessment methods
- Attendance is compulsory. Two unexcused absences are allowed. Absences beyond this quota are excused provided a letter of excuse is handed in at the Office for Studies which then officially displays it in the IS. The final exam consists of the written test, oral exam and the in-class presentation. To pass the course, students need to score the minimum of 60% in each of the three parts (written test, oral exam, presentation).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 30.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- VLAW051 Academic Writing
- VLRL11XX Family Medicine and Geriatrics
(VLFA0822p || VLFA0722p) && VLNE9X1p && VLPY9X1p && VSDV9X22p && VLAM9X1p && (VLVL7X61c || VLVL9X61c ) && VLVL9X62c && VLVL9X63c && VLVL9X64c && (VLVL9X65c || VLVL7X65c) && VLVL9X66c && VLIN9X22 && VLPL9X1 && VLON091 && VYCET(3, VLPS07X || VLPS071, VSAT081, VLKA091, VSNO071, VSPM071, VLKB091, VLKF091, BMBS051, VLPM071, VLEP041, VLIA081, VLKM081, VLRL041, VLTL081, VSDL071, VSAL081, VSAL082, VSFP071) && VLCH9X33c && (VLAJ0222 || VSAJ0222 || VSNJ0222)&& VLPX102t
- ZLVP0411 Research activities in dentistry
VSAJ0222 || ZLAJ0222 || VLAJ0222
- VLAW051 Academic Writing
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/spring2021/VSAJ0222