LF:aVLVL7X61c Internal medicine - part 1 - Course Information
aVLVL7X61c Internal Medicine - part 1 - Functional Diagnostics, Occupational Medicine and GeriatricsFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/4/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- MUDr. Denis Lekeš (lecturer)
MUDr. Adam Lukáč (lecturer)
prof. MUDr. Petr Brhel, CSc. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Petr Dobšák, CSc. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Petr Malenka, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Hana Matějovská Kubešová, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Soňa Pavlová (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Jarmila Siegelová, DrSc. (seminar tutor)
Hana Cahová (assistant)
Bohdana Furiková (assistant)
Ivana Kamínková (assistant)
Jitka Skládaná (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Hana Matějovská Kubešová, CSc.
Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Practical Medicine - Institutions shared with the Faculty Hospital Brno - Adult Age Medicine - Faculty of Medicine
Supplier department: Department of Occupational Medicine - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine (40,00 %), Department of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine (40,00 %), Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Practical Medicine - Institutions shared with the Faculty Hospital Brno - Adult Age Medicine - Faculty of Medicine (20,00 %)
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- aVLVL7X61c/31: Mon 15. 11. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Tue 16. 11. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Thu 18. 11. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Fri 19. 11. 9:00–12:20 N01180, Mon 22. 11. 9:00–12:20 F01B1/530, Wed 19. 1. 13:30–18:30 N02029, Thu 20. 1. 13:30–18:30 N02029, Fri 21. 1. 13:30–18:30 N02029
aVLVL7X61c/33: Mon 10. 1. 7:30–12:30 N03329, 13:30–18:30 N02029, Tue 11. 1. 7:30–12:30 N03329, 13:30–18:30 N02029, Wed 12. 1. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Thu 13. 1. 7:30–12:30 N03329, 13:30–18:30 N02029, Fri 14. 1. 9:00–12:20 N01180, Mon 17. 1. 9:00–12:20 F01B1/530
aVLVL7X61c/35: Mon 4. 10. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Tue 5. 10. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Wed 6. 10. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Thu 7. 10. 7:30–12:30 N03329, Fri 8. 10. 9:00–12:20 N01180, Mon 11. 10. 9:00–12:20 F01B1/530, Wed 19. 1. 13:30–18:30 N02029, Thu 20. 1. 13:30–18:30 N02029, Fri 21. 1. 13:30–18:30 N02029
- aVLPF0622p Pathophysiology II - lecture && aVLTZ0653 Theor.Bases of Clin. Med. III && aVLLP0633c Clinical Introduction III - p && aVLPA0622p Pathology II - lecture
Clinical propedeutics, Theoretical background of practical medicine, Pathology, Pathophysiology
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Occupational medicine
This course explains the impact of work and working conditions on the health of workers, the prevention diagnostics, treatment, and medicolegal aspects of diseases caused or exacerbated by working conditions: occupational diseases, accidents at work, work-related diseases, occupational health services in the Czech Republic, aims and functions of an occupational health service, types of service
Functional diagnostics and rehabilitation
This course unit provides detailed information about key diagnostic functional tests in clinical medicine, all of which are conducted inside the lab. Students will be able to apply the basic concepts by conducting self-made examinations and recording their own physiological responses to exercise.
Students will understand main diferences between seniors and younger patients, especially in diseases diagnostics, specificities of objective findings, laboratory parameters and treatment targets as well.
- Learning outcomes
- Occupational medicine
Student knows occupational preventive measures including the evaluation of working ability, health risks of ionization, physical factors, industrial toxins. Student can describe basic obligatories of employers in relationship to the employee, basic rules for the evaluation of occupational diseases, risks of occupational diseases or risks of accidents at work. Student is able to describe the duties of attending physician, injured employee and employer in the event of the accident of work.
Functional diagnostics and rehabilitation
After completing the course the student will know: principles of implementation, indications and contraindications of CPX (cardiopulmonary exercise testing) in clinical and outpatient practice (especially spiroergometric testing, basic principles of functional diagnostics of respiratory functions and investigation of autonomic nervous regulations), reactions of the organism to various types of exertion and the differences between the physiological and pathological reactions of the basic functional parameters to the physical load, the importance of prescribing exercise therapy in internal medicine, especially in patients with cardiovascular or respiratory diseases, and metabolic disorders, the importance of different training types for cardiac patients (phase I. - IV. of cardiovascular rehabilitation)
Student knows the complex geriatric assessment Student is able to plan the diagnostics with regard to specific features of older patients Student is able to prepare the therapeutic scheme with regard to specific features of older patients Student is able to formulate the régime and diet measures with regard to specific features of older patients Student is able to plan and assure the aftercare with regard to interdisciplinary syndromes.
- Occupational medicine
- 1 Introduction: The impact of work and working conditions on the health of workers.
- The prevention diagnostics, treatment, and medicolegal aspects of diseases caused or exacerbated by working conditions: occupational diseases, accidents at work, work-related diseases.
- 2 Occupational health services in the Czech Republic. Aims and functions of an occupational health service, types of service
- Occupational health ethics
- Knowledge of the work environment, specific workplace hazards
- Medical examinations: pre-placement, periodic and special medical examinations, occupational history, biological monitoring, medical records
- Rehabilitation and resettlement
- 3 Occupational diseases and toxicology List of occupational diseases (appendix of government decree no. 290/1995)
- Occupational diseases due to chemical agents, poisoning by lead or a compound of lead, poisoning by a nitro- or amino- or chloroderivate of benzene or of a homologue of benzene, poisoning by organophosphates, poisoning by chemical asphyxiants (carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide)
- Occupational diseases due to physical agents, work-related cumulative trauma disorders of the hand and arm, hand-arm vibration syndrome, noise induced hearing loss, non-stochastic and stochastic health effects of ionizing radiation, dysbarism, disorders due to heat
- Occupational lung disorders, pneumoconioses (silicosis, coal workers´ pneumoconiosis, asbestosis), asthma, extrinsic allergic alveolitis- farmer´s lung), acute inflammation, malignancy Occupational dermatoses, primary irritant contact dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, neoplasms
- Occupational infections, infections due to exposure to infected humans or their tissues, infections transmitted from animals to humans (zoonoses), travel-associated infectious diseases
- 4 Mental health at work
- 5 The main areas of law relevant to occupational health , workers compensation law
- FUNCTIONAL DIAGNOSTICS AND REHABILITATION
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Reaction and adaptation to physical stress
- Gas transport system, respiration, circulation, energy metabolism, body fluids and ions, acid - base balance, neuromuscular system
- 3 Stress tests
- Characteristics, indications and contraindications
- Stress testing procedure, criteria of evaluation and interpretation
- Methods, special approaches to stress testing
- 4 Fundamentals of exercise therapy and rehabilitation
- Exercise therapy as a part of rehabilitation
- Definition and division into constituent parts
- Therapeutical rehabilitation
- Prescription of exercise therapy, principles, physiologic efficiency of physical activitie, kinds of physical activities, stress intensity, frequency and duration of stress
- 5 Stress testing and exercise therapy in selected diseases
- Cardiovascular and haematologic diseases
- Functional disorders of circulation
- Congenital heart diseases, valvular heart diseases, acute inflammatory diseases. Cardiomyopathy, atherosclerosis, coronary artery diseases, heart failure, arrhythmias, arterial hypertension, chronic ischaemic arterial obstructive disease of lower limbs, respiratory, haematological diseases, diabetes mellitus and other endoctinology diseases
- 1 Specificity of disease symtpoms in elderly, diagnostic approach, complex geriatric assessment
- 2 Different disease course in elderly, complications, chronicity
- 3 Immobilization, complication cascade
- 4 Necessarity of emergent approach to elderly to accelerate the healing process and to keep the independency od the elderly
- 5 Giants of geriatrics, multidisciplinary approach
- 6 Social context of diseases in elderly
- 7 The influence of senzoric, cognitive and motoric deterioration on the independence and abiolita to live in own environment
- 8 Theriatric maldaptation syndrom
- 9 Sleeping disorders in elderly, behavioral disorders in elderly
- 10 Psychical disturbances in elderly, communication basics, stress situation management
- recommended literature
- BORIKOVÁ, A. et al. Selected Chapters from occupational medicine. First edition. Olomouc: UPOL, 2020, 153 p. ISBN 978-80-244-5647-8.
- Geraitrie e-learnigový kurz, Portál LF MU
- The Merck Manual of Geriatrics. http://www.merck.com/mkgr/mmg/search.jsp
- MCARDLE, William D., Frank I. KATCH and Victor L. KATCH. Exercise physiology : nutrition, energy, and human performance. Eighth edition. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. lix, 1028. ISBN 9781451193831. info
- ŠUBRT, Bořivoj and Milan TUČEK. Pracovnělékařské služby : povinnosti zaměstnavatelů a lékařů. 2. doplněné vydání. Olomouc: ANAG, 2015. 351 stran. ISBN 9788072639441. info
- PELCLOVÁ, Daniela. Nemoci z povolání a intoxikace. 3., doplněné vydání. Praha: Karolinum, 2014. 316 stran. ISBN 9788024625973. info
- MATĚJOVSKÁ KUBEŠOVÁ, Hana and Pavel WEBER. Geriatrie (Geriatrics). In Vnitřní lékařství. Praha: Grada, 2011. 30 pp. Vnitřní lékařství 1. ISBN 978-80-247-2110-1. info
- MATĚJOVSKÁ KUBEŠOVÁ, Hana, Pavel WEBER, Pavel ŠEVČÍK, Michal MAŠEK, Zdeněk KADAŇKA, Blanka VEPŘEKOVÁ, Vlasta POLCAROVÁ, Roman GÁL, Dagmar SEIDLOVÁ and Helena ONDRÁŠKOVÁ. Akutní stavy v geriatrii (Emergencies in geriatrics). 1st ed. Praha: Galén, 2009. 233 pp. akutní medicína, geriatrie. ISBN 978-80-7262-620-5. info
- DOBŠÁK, Petr, Jarmila SIEGELOVÁ, Hana SVAČINOVÁ, Pavel HOMOLKA, Leona DUNKLEROVÁ, Michaela SOSÍKOVÁ and Zdeněk PLACHETA. Klinická fyziologie tělesné zátěže (Clinical physiology of body budrden). 2009th ed. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2009. 98 pp. <AA-9,10>. ISBN 978-80-210-4965-9. info
- Pracovní lékařství : základy primární pracovnělékařské péče. Edited by Petr Brhel - Marta Manoušková - Evžen Hrnčíř. 1. vyd. Brno: Národní centrum ošetřovatelství a nelékařských zdravotnických oborů, 2005. 338 s. ISBN 8070134143. info
- Textbook of clinical and environmental medicine. Edited by Linda Rosenstock. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2005. xviii, 133. ISBN 0721689744. info
- KALVACH, Zdeněk. Geriatrie a gerontologie. 1. vyd. Praha: Grada, 2004. 861 s. ISBN 8024705486. info
- PLACHETA, Zdeněk, Ilona DOHNALOVÁ, Jan NOVOTNÝ, Břetislav ZATLOUKAL, Karel ČECHOVSKÝ, Vladimír DRAŽIL and Pavel HOMOLKA. Zátěžová funkční diagnostika a preskripce pohybové léčby ve vnitřním lékařství (Stress functional diagnostics and prescription of physical therapy in internal medicine). 2. přepracované vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita Brno, 1995. 156 pp. ISBN 80-210-1170-X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lessons are taking place in blocks. Attendance at the tuition is obligatory. The students work in groups of 6-7 members. Expert seminars and simulation methods are the part of education.
- Assessment methods
- Test, assay as the case report, colloquium.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 60.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/autumn2021/aVLVL7X61c