LF:FPCJ01 Czech language - Course Information
FPCJ01 Czech language - Foundation programmeFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/6/0. Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Jitka Brešová, CSc. (seminar tutor), PhDr. Ivana Rešková, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Linda Doleží, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Renata Prucklová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Martin Punčochář (seminar tutor)
PhDr. Ivana Rešková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Petra Stejskalová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jarmila Šafránková (seminar tutor), PhDr. Ivana Rešková, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D. (assistant)
doc. MUDr. Lubomír Křivan, Ph.D. (assistant)
Bc. Helena Melicharová (assistant)
Mgr. Ondřej Peš, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Ivana Rešková, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: PhDr. Ivana Rešková, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Medicine Division - Language Centre
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- FPCJ01/CZECH1: Mon 14. 10. to Fri 14. 2. Mon 8:00–9:50 A1/509, Wed 11:00–12:50 A1/509, Fri 8:00–9:50 A1/509
FPCJ01/CZECH2: Mon 14. 10. to Fri 14. 2. Wed 9:00–10:50 A1/509, Thu 13:00–14:50 A1/509, Fri 10:00–11:50 A1/509
- No previous knowledge of Czech language is needed.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/30, only registered: 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Foundation programme (programme LF, C-CV)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the tuition is working knowledge of the Czech language on the A1 level of the "Common European Framework of Reference" (CEFR/Independent User) checked by an examination. After first year students can understand vocabulary and basic phrases related to students, their families, and their immediate specific surrounding, provided people speak clearly and at a slow rate. The knowledge enables students to communicate in common routine tasks, such as shopping, accommodation, using public transport, orientation in the city, asking the way, being able to describe their place of living and people they know by simple phrases and sentences. Students should also be able to fill in forms with personal data, such as name, nationality and address when applying for residence accommodation.
- Learning outcomes
- In seven practically oriented lessons (Čeština express I) Czech learners can learn to understand and react in basic communicative situations (e.g. the topics of Getting to know each other, Directions, My family, When to meet etc.). The coursebook concentrates on mastering communication skills, first and foremost speaking and listening.
In seven practically focused lessons (Čeština express II) Czech learners can learn to orient themselves and react in basic communication situations (e.g. the topics of Houses and flats, At the doctor‘s, Visiting, Looking for work etc.). The textbook concentrates on mastering communication skills, mainly speaking and listening.
- 1st week: LEKCE 1: Communicative Competency: Introduction, Greetings. Phrases in the classroom. Instructions. Where are you from? What do you do? Grammar: Czech alphabet. Pronunciation. Vowels, diphthongs. Consonants, assimilation of consonants in groups. Personal pronouns. The verb "být". The numbers 1 - 10. Who is it? What is it? Natural genders in Czech. Adressing people. Verb conjugation I (-at). The verb "mít".
- 2nd week: LEKCE 2: Communicative Competency: ORIENTACE VE MĚSTĚ, NEMOCNICI (http://mluvtecesky.net/cs/courses/a1/3). Where is it? Locations. How can I get there? Grammar: Adverbs. Verb conjugation II (-et/ět/-it, -ovat). The verbs jít versus jet. The numbers 11-100.
- 3rd week: PROGRESS TEST 1. LEKCE 3/1:Communicative Competency:JÍDLO A PITÍ. V RESTAURACI. Grammar: Grammatical genders. Nominative sg. Ten, ta, to. Adjectives: hard and soft. Accusative sg Mi, F, N after mít rád/a, číst, pít, jíst. Numbers 100-1000.
- 4th week: LEKCE 3/2: Revision. LEKCE 4/1: Communicative Competency: MOJE RODINA. Kolik je ti/vám let? Grammar:: Possessive pronouns. Czech adjectives: jaký/á/é? Accusative of Ma. Verbs -ovat. Project 1: My family.
- 5th week: PROGRESS TEST 2. LEKCE 4/2: Revision of Czech verbs and accusative sg. LEKCE 5: Communicative Competency: KDY JE TO? (Dny, měsíce, datum). Grammar: Cardinal numerals. Modal verbs.
- 6th week: LEKCE 5/2:Communicative Competency: KDY SE SEJDEME? CO RÁDI DĚLÁTE? Grammar:mít rád/a/i+acc, rád+verb. Project 2: Likes and dislikes.
- 7th week: PROGRESS TEST 3. Communicative Competency: MŮJ DEN(handout). Grammar: Revision. Project 3: My daily routine.
- 8th weeks: LEKCE 6/1:Communicative Competency: CO JSI DĚLAL/A VČERA? Grammar: Past tense I.
- 9th week: PROGRESS TEST 4 (ORAL). LEKCE 6/2:Communicative Competency: SLAVNÍ ČEŠKY A ČEŠKY. CZECH CHRISTMAS. Grammar: Past tense II. Znát-vědět-umět.
- 10th week: REVISION. Introduction, In a restaurant, Invitation, How is your family, What do you like?, What did you do? LEKCE 7/1:Communicative Competency: KDE JSI BYL/A? Grammar: Locative sg. Preposition v-na-u.
- 11th week: LEKCE 7/2: Communicative Competency: KDE JSTE BYLI NA DOVOLENÉ? Grammar: Revision of locative sg.
- 12th week: PROGRESS TEST 5. LEKCE 8/1. Communicative Competency: PLÁNUJEME ČAS. Grammar: Future tense.
- 13th week: LEKCE 8/2. Communicative Competency: PÍŠEME E-MAIL. Grammar: Grammar: KAM versus KDE? Prepositions do-na-k. Genitive sg. Project 4: Mail kamarádovi/kamarádce.
- 14th week: PROGRESS TEST 6. LEKCE 9/1. Communicative Competency: DŮM A BYT. Grammar: Revision of accusative sg. Prepositions pro, na, za.
- 15th week: TEST 4. LEKCE 9/2. Communicative Competency: OBCHODY A REKLAMACE. Grammar: Nominative pl of Mi, F and N. Project 5: My flat.
- 16th week: PROGRESS TEST 7. LEKCE 10: Communicative Competency: CESTUJEME. PŘIJEDEŠ NA NÁVŠTĚVU? (Invitation). Grammar: Long and short verbs of motion (jet-jezdit, jít-chodit). Přijít x odejít.
- 17th week: LEKCE 11/1: Communicative Competency: LIDSKÉ TĚLO. U DOKTORA. Grammar: Personal pronouns in the accusative and dative. Bolí mě.... . Je mi.... .
- 18th week: PROGRESS TEST 8. LEKCE 11/2.Communicative Competency: NEMOCI A LÉKY. MŮŽETE MI POMOCT? Grammar: Revision.
- 19th week: PROGRESS TEST 9 (ORAL). FINAL REVISION.
- 20th week: FINAL EXAM.
- required literature
- Holá, Lída-Pavla Bořilová. Čeština express 1. Praha: Akropolis 2010. ISBN 978-80-87310-13-7.
- Holá, Lída-Pavla Bořilová. Čeština express 2. Praha: Akropolis 2011. ISBN 978-80-87481-26-4.
- Teaching methods
- The tuition is realised in the form of practical courses.The following teaching methods are used: class discussion, roleplay, work in groups, reading, listening, writing HW (including Projects), word study. Emphasis put on selfstudy!
- Assessment methods
- Students must not miss more than 10% of the lessons in both the seminars and the lectures in each of the subjects. Students who miss more than 10% will not receive the final certificate of participation.
During the course, 10 progress tests will be written on a periodic basis to check the knowledge of the students. Students who score 70% or more in these tests will receive a bonus for the final assessment.
The Foundation Programme will end with final tests that will take place in the last lesson and will contain questions related to the content of the whole programme. The final assessment is based on the result of the final tests and bonuses received from the progress tests. Students can receive the following assessment: Pass with excellent results if scoring 70% or higher; Pass if scoring between 50-70%; Fail if scoring less than 50%.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Current information about the subject, consultation hours, etc. is accessible on the notice boards at the Language Center, Faculty of Medicine Division. Contact with teachers is provided by the secretary of the department (Kamenice 5, A15), tel.: 549 498 170.