BFEP051p Epidemiology of Infectious DiseasesFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Miroslava Zavřelová (lecturer)
MUDr. Bohdana Rezková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. František Beňa (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc.
Department of Public Health - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Public Health - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- BKZF031p Pharmacology - l
Prerequisites according to the MU study and examination regulations.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the basics of general and special epidemiology.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able at the end of course "epidemiology of infectious diseases" to understand and explain the epidemic process and factors affecting the transmission of infections.
They will be capable to use the information about the current events and epidemiologic situation.
Students should be able to create repressive anti-epidemic measures in outbreaks.
They should master the basic theoretic and practical knowledge of infectious and non-communicable diseases epidemiology in order to implement preventive measures.
- Goals of the epidemiology.
- The basic knowlegde of epidemiology - understanding the epidemiological metodology (descriptive, analytic, experimental epidemiology).
- Epidemic process; etiology and risk factors of epidemic diseases.
- Form of sources of infection.
- Contagiosity in particular stage of the disease.
- Cariership of patogenic microorganisms. Animals as source of infection.
- Transmission of infectious diseases, phases of transmission.
- Susceptibility of the population to the infection, vaccination
- Global epidemiology, epidemiologic surveillance.
- Principles of control of infectious diseases – elimination of the source, interruption of transmission of infectious agents, measures in a focus of infection.
- Surveillance of nosocomial infections (NI), etiology NI, risk factors of aquiring NI, sources and localization NI, the principles of control NI, decontamination, disinfection.
- Epidemiological characteristics of the intestinal infections and prevention of their spreading.
- Epidemiological characteristics of the airborne infections and prevention of their spreading.
- Epidemiological characteristics of blood infections and prevention of their spreading.
- Animals as sources of infection.
- Infections of the skin and superficial mucous membrane – epidemiological characteristics and preventing their transmission.
- Infections as occupational diseases and their prevention.
- required literature
- GÖPFERTOVÁ, Dana, Petr PAZDIORA and Jana DÁŇOVÁ. Epidemiologie : obecná a speciální epidemiologie infekčních nemocí. 2., přepr. vyd. Praha: Karolinum, 2013. 223 s. ISBN 9788024622231. info
- PODSTATOVÁ, Hana. Základy epidemiologie a hygieny. Praha: Karolinum, 2009. 158 s. ISBN 9788024616315. info
- Bakoss P, Baška T, Bazovská S, Kmety E, Maďar R et al: Compendium of epidemiology. Edited by Pavol Bakoss. Bratislava - Slovak Republic: Comenius University Bratislava; 1999. pp 3-138.
- Manuál prevence v lékařské praxi. Edited by Kamil Provazník - Lumír Komárek. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní zdravotní ústav, 2001. 63 s. ISBN 8070711949. info
- Teaching methods
Reading and studying ALL REQUIRED LITERATURE.
For those who will have to write research projects and seminar papers during third, fourth and fifth year, it is strongly recommended to enrol the following courses:
VSIL021 - Information literacy - (3 credits) - e-learning.
VSKP041 - A course of working with information sources and tools (4 credits).
- Assessment methods
- COLLOQUIUM INFORMATION:
1. To sit for colloquium, it will be required to successfully complete the prerequisite subjects.
2. All colloquium questions are based on ALL REQUIRED LITERATURE, and lectures.
Colloquium → Written test
ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT, PLAGIARISM DETECTION AND ETHICAL ISSUES:
1. Any attempts of ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT, such as cheating or assisting someone else to cheat during the colloquium, will result in disciplinary actions, such as:
a-) You will be required to hand over your examination paper and asked to leave the examination room. This means, you failed the examination (examination term), with the respective score F / 4, on your academic records in the information system.
b-) Opening disciplinary proceedings.
c-) Failing the subject / course.
d-) Expulsion from university.
2. During the colloquium, it is forbidden to use items such as:
a-) Smart phones / Tablets.
c-) To wear earphones or headphones (if not medical prescribed).
d-) To talk.
*In such cases, disciplinary actions will be taken (See above numeral 1).
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 15.
- Teacher's information