LF:VSAT081 Fundament.of AntimicrobTherap - Course Information
VSAT081 Fundamentals of Antimicrobial TherapyFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. MUDr. Filip Růžička, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Renata Tejkalová (lecturer)
prof. MUDr. Miroslav Votava, CSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Ondřej Zahradníček (lecturer)
MUDr. Lenka Černohorská, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Monika Dvořáková Heroldová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Veronika Holá, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. MUDr. Vladana Woznicová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Miroslav Votava, CSc.
Department of Microbiology - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: MUDr. Ondřej Zahradníček
Supplier department: Department of Microbiology - Institutions shared with St. Anne's Faculty Hospital - Faculty of Medicine
- Mon 5. 3. to Fri 1. 6. Tue 16:50–18:30 014
- ( VLLM0421c Med.Microbiol. && VLLM0522c Medical Microbiology II-pract. ) || ( STLM0421c Medical Microbiology - practice && STLM0522c Medical Microbiology II-prac. )
Subject is recommended for 4th and 5th year students, mostly after having exam from farmacology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The subject gives gives larger knowledge of antibiotics and their use in medical microbiology. Main objectives can be summarized as follows:
* to review a survey of medically important antimicrobial drugs, to get more practical information concerning individual groups of antibiotics (mostly from the point of view of a general practicioner)
* to have survey of factors of resistance of bacteria, and to know, what are the multiresistant strains of bacteria and what is their importance (MRSA, producents of ESBL, VRE etc.) * to get some information concerning basic guidelines for treatment of infections of respiratory ways, gastrointestinal tract, urinary system, genital system, bloodstream, tissues; hospital infections
* to understand basically treatment of immunocompromised persons, pregnant and lactating females, newborns and small babies
- I. Theoretical basis of action of antimicrobial drugs
- 1. Classification of antimicrobial agents, comparison with decontamination methods. Term "antibiotic", primarilly bactericidal and bacteriostatical antibiotics.
- 2. Individual groups of antibiotics according to chemical simillarity and effect mechanism - I Betalaktam antibiotics, penicillins, cephalosporins, monobactams, carbapenems, polypeptides, quinolones
- 3. Individual groups of antibiotics according to chemical simillarity and effect mechanism - II Aminoglykosides, amphenicols, tetracyclins, macrolides (including azalides and ketolides), lincosamids, sulphonamids, glycopeptids, ansamycins, other atbs
- 4. Survey of main mechanisms or resistance. Resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics: beta-lactamases, PBP alteration, decrease of permeability. Betalaktamases globally. In vitro testing of susceptibility and resistance.
- 5. Epidemiologically important factors of resistance. ESBL. MRSA and MRSCN. Resistance to glycopeptides, VRE, VISA and VRSA. Note about other important resistance factors (to aminoglycosides, to macrolides, mostly MLS type in streptococci and staphylococci). Importance of nosocomial strains with factors of increased rezistence, Their surveillance and measures when they occur. Detection of individual resistance factors
- II. Treatment of infections of individual organ systems in practice
- 6. Basics of antibiotic treatment of bloodstream infections, proper blood culture sampling, interpretation of finding in relation to therapy
- 7. Basics of treatment of locomotor system, pyogene and anaerobic infections. Penetration of individual antibiotic groups to the tissues. Basics of antibiotic treatment of neural system and eye
- 8. Antibiotic treatment in gastrointestinal infections, including stomatological problems. Basics of antibiotic treatmnt of respiratory infections and otitis.
- 9. Basics of antibiotic therapy of urinary, genital and skin infections. 10. Basics of use of antivirotics, antimycotics and antiparasital drugs in various infections
- III. Treatment of special cases. Basics of proper practice, treatment economics
- 11. Treatment of neutropenic patients.
- 12. Basic rules for treatment in liver and kidney problems, in pregnancy, lactation and in children
- 13. Basics of proper antibiotic practice, antibiotic centers, prescription limits, economy of antimicrobial treatment.
- 14. Theme reserved
- Powerpointové prezentace, dostupné ve studijních materiálech. - Powerpoint slideshows, available in Study materials
- Assessment methods
- Time schedule: Subject has the form of two-lesson seminars.
To get the coloquium, students have to be succesful at the coloquial test, and also to participate on the lessons (max. 3 absences, partially may be substituted by a referate, more info on the first lesson).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught only once.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 14 x 2 hodiny.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- VLRL11XX Family Medicine and Geriatrics
(VLFA0822p || VLFA0722p) && VLNE9X1p && VLPY9X1p && VSDV9X22p && VLAM9X1p && (VLVL7X61c || VLVL9X61c ) && VLVL9X62c && VLVL9X63c && VLVL9X64c && (VLVL9X65c || VLVL7X65c) && VLVL9X66c && VLIN9X22 && VLPL9X1 && VLON091 && VYCET(3, VLPS07X || VLPS071, VSAT081, VLKA091, VSNO071, VSPM071, VLKB091, VLKF091, BMBS051, VLPM071, VLEP041, VLIA081, VLKM081, VLRL041, VLTL081, VSDL071, VSAL081, VSAL082, VSFP071) && VLCH9X33c && (VLAJ0222 || VSAJ0222 || VSNJ0222)&& VLPX102t
- VLRL11XX Family Medicine and Geriatrics