PdF:SKPC071 English for academic purposes - Course Information
SKPC071 English for academic purposesFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 9 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- Daniel Gerrard, M.A. (seminar tutor)
Jitka Autratová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Radim Herout
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Mgr. Jana Veličková
Supplier department: Institute for Research in School Education - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- SKPC071/01: Thu 10:00–11:50 učebna 41, except Thu 27. 10., D. Gerrard
SKPC071/02: Thu 10:00–11:50 učebna 33, except Thu 27. 10.
- B2 level knowledge of English is required.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- School pedagogy (programme PdF, D-SKPED) (2)
- Course objectives
- This C1 level course is intended for doctoral students at the Faculty of Education (with the exception of students from the Didactics of a Foreign Language programme). The course develops all four language skills (speaking, writing, listening and reading) while putting a special emphasis on academic writing and speaking.
- Learning outcomes
- A C1 student can: - understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; - express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; - use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; - produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- SESSION 1: Introduction to academic writing; SESSION 2: Academic writing with corpora; SESSION 3: Coherence and cohesion; SESSION 4: Language of generalisation, hedging and boosting; SESSION 5: Writing a conference abstract; SESSION 6: The writing process; SESSION 7: Language of presentations and presentation skills; SESSION 8: Delivering a paper presentation; SESSION 9: TBD; Weeks 10-13: Independent work on assignments.
- required literature
- Study material posted in the course folder in the MU Information System.
- recommended literature
- DVOŘÁČKOVÁ, Veronika, Dita HOCHMANOVÁ and Dita TRČKOVÁ. Anglická terminologie pro učitele Praktický průvodce (English Terminology for Teachers - Practical Guide). Praha: Grada, 2021. 223 pp. ISBN 978-80-271-2470-1. info
- SPARLING, Thomas Donaldson, Christopher Adam RANCE and Simona KALOVÁ. English or Czenglish. Avoiding Czechisms in English. 1. vyd. . Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2021. 319 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-9965-4. URL info
- ŠTĚPÁNEK, Libor and Janice de HAAFF. Academic English. 2. aktualizované vydání. Praha: Grada, 2018. 222 stran. ISBN 9788027108428. info
- Teaching methods
- Group discussions; presentations; group and individual writing tasks; reading and text analysis; peer review; grammar and vocabulary study.
- Assessment methods
- Credit requirements: 1) attendance (min. five sessions), active participation; 2) ROPOT quizzes; 3) conference abstract (approx. 300-400 words); 4) peer review; 5) oral presentation (10-15 mins + Q&A) in exam period.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Zkouška podle podmínek pro doktorské studium MU.
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
General note: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia PdF MU.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia na PdF MU.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/autumn2022/SKPC071