FF:MUB_010 Collecting in Museums - Course Information
MUB_010 Collecting in MuseumsFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- doc. Mgr. Otakar Kirsch, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Otakar Kirsch, Ph.D.
Division of Museology - Department of Archaeology and Museology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Miriam Molnárová
Supplier department: Division of Museology - Department of Archaeology and Museology - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 16. 9. 9:00–12:40 M21, Thu 7. 10. 9:00–12:40 M21, Thu 4. 11. 9:00–12:40 M21, Thu 25. 11. 9:00–12:40 M21
- MUI_06 Work with Resources || MUB_006 Work with Resources
MUB_001 Introduction to museology and museography
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main aim of the course is to introduce students to the museum collecting process in theory and practice. After completing the course, they will be able to understand the specifics of museum collecting activities, acquire knowledge of the phases leading to the incorporation of objects in the collection system, including the reasons for their removal. They will get acquainted with the structure and content of the documents that are created during the musealisation process.
- Learning outcomes
- - understand to the specifics of museum collecting activities,
- acquire knowledge of the phases leading to the incorporation of objects in the collection system, including the reasons for their removal
- summarize the structure and content of the documents that are created during the musealisation process
- Definition and description of the basic terms (musealisation, collecting activities, collection item, museum collection, documentation, information, communication).
- Cultural heritage – description and structure, differences and similarities in document maintenance of individual areas of cultural heritage, naurfacts, artifacts, mentefacts and ecofacts problems.
- Museum documentation – the term definition in museology literature (so called narrower and broader concepts, primary, secondary, tertiary, accompanying and authentic documentation). Contribution and specifics of the fields in the museums represented in the collecting process - so-called special museology (archaeological, historical, ethnographic, technological museology, etc.).
- Time perspective and its significance in the collecting activity - passive and active selection, issues of contemporary documentation, basic differences between the contemporary documentation of documentation of the past.
- Criteria and ways of gathering collection items - trends, documents created prior to incorporation in the collection system (finding report, field research report, acquisition documents, etc.).
- Record keeping of collection items, study and auxiliary materials and accompanying documentation, accounting records. central registry of museum-type collections, computing, and museum records.
- Inventory of the collections - forms, course, documents related to inventory activity.
- Museum documents related to the protection and safety of collections (restorer´s report, proceeding of collection and individual collection items management, depository rules, etc.). So-called tertiary documents (foundation charter, collection plan, museum self-documentation, etc.).
- Deacces - ways of collection discarding (uselessness, redundancy).
- STRÁNSKÝ, Zbyněk. Archeologie a muzeologie. Vydání první. Brno: Masarykova univerzita v Brně, 2005. 315 stran. ISBN 8021038616. info
- BELK, Russell W. Collecting in a consumer society. London: Routledge, 1995. v, 198 s. ISBN 0-415-10534-X. info
- Interpreting objects and collections. Edited by Susan M. Pearce. London: Routledge, 1994. xii, 343. ISBN 0415112893. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- written and oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/MUB_010