FF:AJ69052 Translation Project - Course Information
AJ69052 Translation Project - SubtitlingFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus 3 credits for an exam). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Renata Kamenická, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jiří Petrů (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Jeffrey Alan Vanderziel, B.A.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- each even Thursday 10:50–12:25 G21
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/20, only registered: 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Acquiring basic theoretical knowledge and practical and skills in film subtitling.
- The course evolves around a real-life project: preparing subtitles for the festival Cinema Mundi (http://www.cinemamundi.info/O-festivalu). Students will engage in groupwork on feature films to be shown during the festival in March. The class will meet to discuss possible approaches and practical issues encountered in the films to be show as a part of the festival. For practical reasons (Oscar nominations), the semester will start with the basic subtitling concepts and constraints and preparatory work with films from last year's run of the festival, and then we will move to the task itself. Expect also reviewing translations for other groups.
- Teaching methods
- Groupwork, subtitle analysis, creation of one's own subtitles including software use, peer review, defending one's solutions, raising issues concerning work of others, presentation of work to groups subtitling films from other languages.
- Assessment methods
- The final subtitling output, contribution to class discussion, other assistance (project management, practical software-related issues, presentations for audiences external to the course).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Předmět si nemohou zapsat studenti Bc. studia AJ