FF:AJ69052 Translation Project - Course Information
AJ69052 Translation Project - SubtitlingFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus 3 credits for an exam). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Renata Kamenická, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Jan Nohovec (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jana Chamonikolasová, Ph.D.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 19:00–20:40 G21
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 3/20, only registered: 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Applying theoretical knowledge and practical skills in film and TV subtitling in a real-life project with public audience.
- The course revolves around a real-life project: preparing subtitles for the festival Serial Killer (http://www.serialkiller.tv/). Students will engage in groupwork on episodes from TV series to be shown during the festival in September.
- The class will meet biweekly for four times in March-April for students to learn the theoretical and practical aspects of subtitling. The fourth in-class session will include a credit test which is a pre-requisite for starting to work on subtitles for the festival. The subtitling for the festival will then be done online.
- Translation work will begin in mid-June when material for subtitling will start to be distributed to students as it arrives from Serial Killer management team. Subtitle hand-offs will take place periodically in July-September and students may be able to choose the deadline that suits them best.
- Depending on the number of participants in this course, each student will subtitle 2-5 hours of material. Each student will also act as a reviewer for other class participants. For some TV series subtitled, English will only serve as a pivot language. Knowledge of other languages is therefore a plus when enrolling in the course.
- Course outline may change during the semester depending to the circumstances of festival organization.
- Teaching methods
- Groupwork, subtitle analysis, creation of one's own subtitles including software use, peer review.
- Assessment methods
- Take-home final exam in pairs or groups of students. Marks will be given based on the quality of the subtitles for the movie/TV series. Timely delivery and ease of communication during the handoffs may also influence the marks, as they would in any real-life project too.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Předmět si nemohou zapsat studenti Bc. studia AJ
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2020/AJ69052