FF:IM137 Applied Game Studies - Course Information
IM137 Applied Game Studies – Research and DesignFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. et Mgr. Zdeněk Záhora (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Jana Horáková, Ph.D.
Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Bc. Jitka Leflíková
Supplier department: Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 16:00–17:40 N31
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- IM082 Game Studies
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 60 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 1/60, only registered: 0/60, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/60
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Learning outcomes of the course is to deepen the knowledge of game studies and to introduce methods and techniques that can be used to explore digital games, their industry and audiences. During the course the student will acquire knowledge applicable not only in the academic sphere, but also in the professional environment. The topics of the lectures are structured into several thematic blocks divided into exploring and using games in research, exploring industry and analyzing the game audience. Students will acquire both the theoretical knowledge necessary for a deeper understanding of games and game culture, as well as selected methods to explore these topics.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to: - Characterize the gaming industry and its potential for research - characterize and utilize methods for research of this culture segment - Describe and analyze trends in the gaming industry and changes in the gaming audience
- * The course runs regularly, once a week 01 UVOD 02 GAME ANALYSIS (MDA? SPACE, HM vs USE MEDIA - CLOBRDO DEMONSTRACE) 03 GUEST: METHODOLOGY, SCIENTIFIC PARADIGMATA 04 SEMIOTICS, KYBERTEXT 05 NATIONAL, DISCURSIVE ANALYSIS 06 READ WEEK - EASTER 07 CETBY + GAME ZANRY REFLECTION 08 PLAYING AS A PUBLIC, VIRTUAL WORLD AS A ETNOGRAPHIC FIELD 09 PLAYBOUR and HM BINDING 10 CROWDRESEARCH + GAME TELEMETRY 11 GAME INDUSTRY (CR) and GAME ZURNALISTICS 12 PREPARATION WEEK - FINAL PROJECT 13 COURSE WEEK PRESENTATION (+ Evaluation of subject and profile of graduate)
- Teaching methods
- Lectures and seminars, reading, final seminar paper
- Assessment methods
- During the semester, the student must complete the seminar tasks and elaborate the final seminar work on a selected topic. 1x ongoing tasks (40% evaluation) 1x final seminar paper (60%)
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.