FF:PLIN023 A schol. lect. and an excurs. - Course Information
PLIN023 A scholarly lecture and an excursion, Pt. 2Faculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Marek Grác, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Hladká, Dr. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Lucie Rychnovská, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Hladká, Dr.
Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Czech Language with Orientation on Computational Linguistics (programme FF, B-FI)
- Course objectives
- The course combines excursions to scholarly linguistic institutions and a series of lectures delivered by both Czech and foreign experts in corpus and computer processing of language and in related topics. The aim is to enrich standard teaching of computer linguistics and linguistically orientated Czech studies with concrete examples of work in the sphere of primary as well as of applied linguistic research. The course is aimed especially at students of Czech with the focus on computer linguistics, but it is also open to all students of Czech as well as to students of other philological programmes. Participation in the excursions will be covered from OPVK project funds.
- Excursions will take place especially at institutions that are partners of the OPVK programme, namely at the Institute of the Czech National Corpus (Charles University, Prague) and at various sections of the Institute of the Czech Language (Academy of Sciences). Other Czech and foreign institutions will be selected depending on future possibilities.
- The series of lectures will be focused especially on topics form the spheres of theory and practice of corpus and computer processing of language, such as building, tagging and using corpuses, on types of disambiguation, on spelling and grammar checking tools in electronic word processors, on morphological analysis in internet browsers, on analysis and synthesis of spoken language etc.
- Some of the lectures will deal with “non-computers” linguistic topics or with issues of codification etc.
- The structure of the course will. be modified each term, the series of excursion will be partly repeated, following the scheme of spring and autumn terms (hence the distinction between parts 1 and 2; completing part 1 is not a condition for registration of part 2).
- Proposed topics of lectures (spring 2012):
- - methods of disambiguation
- - creating corpuses at a foreign institution
- - collocations
- - proper nouns and their codification
- Proposed excursions:
- - a selected section of the Institute of the Czech Language, Academy of Sciences (in Prague or/and in Brno)
- - The Museum of Prints in Žďár nad Sázavou (a permanent exhibition of the National Museum focused on the history of script, book printing and graphics – from the Middle Ages to the present day use of computer technologies)
- Literatura bude studentům zadávána aktuálně v relaci k tématům přednáškového cyklu a zaměření navštívených lingvistických pracovišť.
- Teaching methods
- The focus will be on active participation of students, with regard to the issues dealt with. Students will be encouraged to make scholarly preparations for lectures and excursions, to participate in discussions and to utilize the acquired knowledge.
- Assessment methods
- To complete the course successfully, it is necessary to participate actively in two of the excursions and in two of the lectures and to submit assignments relating to those activities.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials