FF:PLIN023 A schol. lect. and an excurs. - Course Information
PLIN023 A scholarly lecture and an excursion, Pt. 2Faculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/3/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Marek Grác, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Hladká, Dr. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Zdeňka Hladká, Dr.
Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jaroslava Vybíralová
Supplier department: Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
- Fri 12:30–14:55 G13
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/30, only registered: 0/30, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course combines excursions to scholarly linguistic institutions and a series of lectures delivered by both Czech and foreign experts dealing with (not only) corpus and computer processing of language. The aim is to enrich standard teaching of computer linguistics and linguistically orientated Czech studies with concrete examples of work in the sphere of primary as well as of applied linguistic research. The course is aimed especially at students of Czech with the focus on computational linguistics, but it is also open to all students of Czech as well as to students of other philological programmes.
- Excursions will take place especially at the Institute of the Czech National Corpus (Charles University, Prague), at various sections of the Institute of the Czech Language (Czech Academy of Sciences) and at other companies and institutions at which graduates from programmes focused on computational linguistics Czech studies and other related subjects can find positions. The series of lectures will be focused especially on topics form the spheres of theory and practice of corpus and computational processing of language, on issues of computational translation, on analysis and synthesis of spoken language etc. Some of the lectures will deal with “non-computational” linguistic topics from the field of Czech studies. Excursions planned for the spring term 2016: an excursion at a computer company (CleverMaps or Red Hat), an excursion at The Czech Television, - an excursion at the ZOO with the presentation of a project jointly prepared by students of Czech with the focus on computational linguistics and Czech language and literature. Lectures planned for the spring term 2016: - a lecture on processing spoken corpora, (P. Pořízka - UPOL) – a lecture by M. Nekula (Regensburg; the topic is to be announced later) – a lecture by the graduates as well as by students of Faculty of Arts, Masaryk University on opportunities in practice, on students running business etc. (e.g. by Z. Vintr of Workday company – graduated from Czech/English study programme, by R. Holaj - an MA student of Czech with the focus on computational linguistics.
- Literatura bude studentům zadávána aktuálně v relaci k tématům přednáškového cyklu a zaměření navštívených lingvistických pracovišť.
- Teaching methods
- The focus is on active participation of students, with regard to the issues dealt with. Students will be encouraged to make scholarly preparations for lectures and excursions, to participate in discussions and to process the acquired knowledge as a team.
- Assessment methods
- To complete the course successfully, it is necessary to participate actively in two of the excursions and in two of the lectures and to process assigned tasks relating to those activities (especially a report on the selected activity).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.