PřF:Z8117 Metainformation in cartography - Course Information
Z8117 Metainformation in cartographyFaculty of Science
Autumn 2011 - acreditation
The information about the term Autumn 2011 - acreditation is not made public
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1. 3 credit(s) (plus 2 credits for an exam). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Milan Konečný, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Karel Staněk, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Rudolf Brázdil, DrSc.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Milan Konečný, CSc.
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- PROGRAM ( N - GK )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/30, only registered: 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The subject concentrates in metainformation in cartography and geoinformatics. Attention is paid both to principles of creation of metainformation systems and to relevant standards. Standards of individual organizations are mutually compared. An overview of existing metainformation systems (with special regard to situation in the Czech Republic) is presented.
- 1. Principles of metadata system design. 2. Characteristics of geodata quality and accuracy. 3. Metadata spatial standards FGDC. 4. Metadata spatial standards CEN. 5. Metadata spatial standards ISO/Open GIS. 6. Situation in metadata standards in the Czech Republic. 7. Classification of spatial data sources in metadata systems. 8. Overview of metadata systems in the Czech Republic and worldwide. 9. Standards for geodata exchange and interpretation. 10. DWIGN (DIGEST) characteristics and their utilization in current Czech public and military digital map works. 11. Standardization in the area of cartographic visualization. 12. Creation of thematic standards. 13. Spatial data infrastructures: metadata a standards.
- ZHANG, Jingxiong and Michael F. GOODCHILD. Uncertainty in geographical information. New York: Taylor & Francis, 2002. x, 266. ISBN 041527723X. info
- CHARVÁT, Karel, Milan KOCÁB, Milan KONEČNÝ and Petr KUBÍČEK. Geografická data v informační společnosti (Geographic Data in Information Society). 1. vyd. Zdiby: Výzkumný ústav geodetický, topografický a kartografický, v.v.i., 250 66 Zdiby 98, 2007. 280 pp. VÚGTK, ročník 53, publikace č. 43. ISBN 978-80-85881-28-8. info
- Teaching methods
- theoretical lectures, practical applications
- Assessment methods
- Subject will be finished by examination, students have to prove orientation in spatial metainformation problematics and ability to use metainformation system.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught once in two years.
The course is taught: every week.