PřF:F9070 Experimental methods of biophy - Course Information
F9070 Experimental methods of biophysicsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: k (colloquium). Other types of completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Mgr. Ctirad Hofr, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Pavel Plevka, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Daniel Renčiuk, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Karel Souček, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Mgr. Lukáš Žídek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Josef Humlíček, CSc.
Department of Condensed Matter Physics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Ctirad Hofr, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Condensed Matter Physics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 17. 9. to Fri 14. 12. Tue 15:00–16:50 A2-211
- Basic methods of physical chemistry and molecular biology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Biophysics (programme PřF, M-FY)
- Course objectives
- The objective of the lectures, practical demonstrations and excursions is to acquaint with range of methods that enable us to quantitatively and qualitatively describe interactions of proteins, DNA and small molecules such as drugs on one hand and methods that describe behavior of cells and whole organisms on the other hand.
We will learn
- describe and explain principles of methods for study of interactions, structure and function of biomolecules
- apply the methods and approaches to practical case studies
- use and broaden our knowledge during research and development laboratories of companies e.g. TESCAN, BIOVENDOR and FEI - ThermoFisher Scientific
- Introduction - selection of three main areas of lectures based on individual students' request
- Separation methods (HPLC)
- Electrophoresis of biopolymers
- Vibrational spectroscopy (IR, Raman, ROA)
- Factor analysis in spectroscopy
- CD and LD spectroscopy
- Calorimetry of biopolymers
- Scaning probe microscopy
- Fluorescence spectroscopy (FRET)
- Teaching methods
- lectures with class discussion, case studies
- Assessment methods
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.