PřF:C8160 Enzymology - Course Information
C8160 EnzymologyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- prof. RNDr. Igor Kučera, DrSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Igor Kučera, DrSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Thu 14:00–15:50 B09/316
- C4182 Biochemistry II || C3580 Biochemistry
Basic courses in biochemistry, organic chemistry and physical chemistry are recommended.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 20 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- An advanced lecture. Enzyme nomenclature. Measurement of enzyme activity. Isolation and storage of enzymes. Mechanisms of enzyme catalysis. Enzyme kinetics. The effect of temperature, pH and inhibitors. Techniques of enzyme immobilization, the effects of immobilization on enzyme properties. Use of enzymes in biochemical analyses,molecular biology, medicine and technology.
- 1) First sight into the world of enzymes: structure, specifity, nomenclature. 2) Enzyme activity and their measurement. 3) Isolation of enzymes from the natural sources and expression systems. 4) Enzyme catalysis from the point of view of organic chemistry. 5) Enzyme catalysis from the point of view of physical chemistry. 6) Basic theoretical concepts in enzyme kinetics. 7) Effects of environmental factors (pH, temperature) on enzymes. 8) Reversible and irreversible inhibition of enzymes. 9) Kinetics of multisubstrate enzyme reactions. 10) Cooperativity in enzyme function. 11) Immobilized enzyme systems. 12) Enzymes as tools in bioanalysis. 13) Use of enzymes in technology and medicine. Enzyme engineering.
- MACHOLÁN, Lumír. Enzymologie. 2. upr. vyd. Brno: Vydavatelství Masarykovy univerzity, 1994. 152 s. ISBN 8021010398. info
- KUČERA, Igor. Řešené úlohy z enzymologie (Solved problems in enzymology). Brno: Rektorát UJEP, 1987. 121 pp. info
- KOTYK, Arnošt and Jaroslav HORÁK. Enzymová kinetika. 1. vyd. Praha: Academia, 1977. 268 s. info
- Assessment methods
- A one semester lecture course, 2 x 45 min per week. The examination is mainly written. It takes 60 min and consists of three parts, one of them being concerned with quantitative aspects. An oral part of the examination then follows.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses