PřF:F2050 Electricity and magnetism - Course Information
F2050 Electricity and magnetismFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 4/2/0. 5 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. David Trunec, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Martin Čermák, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jiří Vohánka, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jana Musilová, CSc.
Department of Physical Electronics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. David Trunec, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Physical Electronics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 20. 2. to Mon 22. 5. Tue 12:00–13:50 F1,01014, Thu 14:00–15:50 F1,01014
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
F2050/02: Mon 20. 2. to Mon 22. 5. Wed 14:00–15:50 Fs1,01017, M. Čermák
F2050/03: Mon 20. 2. to Mon 22. 5. Mon 8:00–9:50 F3,03015, M. Čermák
- Basic knowledge of vector calculus, differential and integral calculus is assumed.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Physics (programme PřF, B-FY)
- Course objectives
- This lecture is basic course of Electricity and Magnetism for first year students. At the end of this course, the student obtains the knowledge of basic laws of electricity and magnetism, he will be able to calculate the electric strength and magnetic induction for electric and magnetic fields and the their action on charges. He obtains the basic knowledge of mutual action of electric and magnetic fields with matter. Furthermore he will be able to solve the problems from electric circuit theory.
- Electric charge. Intensity and potential of electric field. Gauss's law. Poisson's equation. Electric fields around conductors. Capacitors and capacitance. Dielectrics. Polarizability tensor. Electrostatic boundary problem. Electrical conductivity and Ohm's law. Kirchhof's laws and solution of simple electric circuit. Band models of solid state. Conductivity of solid state. Electrolysis. Conductivity of gases. Emission of electrons. Definition of magnetic field. Lorentz force. Amper law. Biot-Savart law. Magnetization. Vector of magnetic polarization. Magnetic properties of material. Magnetic boundary problem. Magnetic circuits. Elements of electrical circuit. Resonant circuits. Oscillations in RLC circuit. Transformers. Summary of Maxwell's equations. Electromagnetic waves.
- SEDLÁK, Bedřich and Ivan ŠTOLL. Elektřina a magnetismus. Vyd. 2., opr. a rozš. Praha: Academia, 2002. 632 s. ISBN 8020010041. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class exercises
- Assessment methods
- written and oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- F2070 Electricity and magnetism
- F3060 Oscillations, waves, optics
- F3061 Oscillations, waves, optics - seminar
- F4050 Introduction to Microphysics
(F1030&&F2050) || (F1040 && F2070 && F3370) || (F1030&&F2070) || (F1040&&F2050)
- F4090 Electrodynamics and theory of relativity
- F4100 Introduction to Microphysics
((F1030||F1040)&&(F2050||F2070)) && (!F4050)
- F5170 Introduction to Plasma Physics
(F2050 || F2070) && (F4100 || F4050)
- F2070 Electricity and magnetism
- Teacher's information