FI:PV079 Applied Cryptography - Course Information
PV079 Applied CryptographyFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/1. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- prof. RNDr. Václav Matyáš, M.Sc., Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Andrij Stecko, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Petr Švenda, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- prof. RNDr. Václav Matyáš, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Václav Matyáš, M.Sc., Ph.D.
- Mon 10:00–11:50 B204
It is recommended to register this course after a cryptography course (M0170 or IV054), and it is also useful to have PV080 prior to this course.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 38 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- This course explores the issues of cryptography deployment issues,
standards and applications. The course enhances students' working
experience with up-to-date cryptosystems, and enables them to
deploy cryptography effectively.
At least one seminar group will use English as the working language (including work on assignments, etc.), this will be agreed with the lecturer at the course start.
- Topics depend on recent developments in the area, but usually cover: Relations of symmetric and asymmetric cryptography.
- Hash functions and their applications.
- Digital signatures, MAC.
- Cryptographic protocols, entity authentication.
- Public key infrastructure, certification.
- Trust, electronic and/vs. real relations.
- E-commerce security, payment systems.
- Hardware protection of (cryptographic) secrets.
- Patents and standards.
- State restrictions and cryptology.
- MENEZES, A. J., Paul van OORSCHOT and Scott A. VANSTONE. Handbook of applied cryptography. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 1997. xiii, 780. ISBN 0-8493-8523-7. info
- SCHNEIER, Bruce. Applied cryptography, second edition : protocols, algorithms, and source code in C. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1996. xxiii, 758. ISBN 0471117099. info
- Assessment methods
- Final "open book" exam accounts for 50% and assignments also for 50 % of the final grade. Both the course and the final exam are in English.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses