FSS:ZUR388 Specifics of online communic. - Course Information
ZUR388 Specifics of online communicationFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Lenka Dědková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. Mgr. et Mgr. Hana Macháčková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Martina Šmahelová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Věra Žůrková (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Jaromír Plhák, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. David Šmahel, Ph.D.
Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Bc. Pavlína Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
- Thu 11:30–13:00 U23
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 35 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/35, only registered: 0/35
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 28 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- After completing this lecture, students will understand to specifics of online communication in comparison to offline communication. They will understand the terms of synchronous and asynchronous communication, cueless environment, online identity and lying on the Internet. They will also be able to describe how context, perceptions and individual's personality affect one's behavior online.
- 1. Introduction 2. Communication theories 3. Specifics of different online environment 4. Anonymity, disinhibition, self-disclosure 5. Experimenting with online identity 6. Trust in online environment, lying online 7. Communication within online communitites 8. Online risks (information sharing and privacy) 9. Phising 10. ICT security policies compliance 11. Commercial online communication 12. Summary, discussion
- UHLS, Yalda T., Lupita ESPINOZA, Patricia GREENFIELD, Kaveri SUBRAHMANYAM and David ŠMAHEL. Internet Use and Electronic Technology. In Encyclopedia of Adolescence. New York: Academic Press, 2011. p. 160-168, 9 pp. 1 edition. ISBN 0-12-373915-2. URL info
- SUBRAHMANYAM, Kaveri and David ŠMAHEL. Digital Youth: The Role of Media in Development. New York: Springer, 2010. 248 pp. Advancing Responsible Adolescent Development. ISBN 1-4419-6277-8. URL info
- ŠMAHEL, David. Komunikace adolescentů v prostředí internetu (Communication of adolescents in the internet environment). Československá psychologie, Praha, 2003, vol. 2003, No 2, p. 144-156. ISSN 0009-062X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures and group projects.
- Assessment methods
- Attendance, preparations for each lecture, final essay.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.