LF:VLFA0621c Pharmacology I - p - Course Information
VLFA0621c Pharmacology I - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/3/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. MUDr. Regina Demlová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PharmDr. Jan Juřica, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Jana Nováková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Jana Pistovčáková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PharmDr. Ondřej Zendulka, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Alena Máchalová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PharmDr. Jana Rudá, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. MVDr. Leoš Landa, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Barbora Říhová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petra Amchová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Anas Arab (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Irena Babilonová (seminar tutor)
MVDr. Zuzana Babinská, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Gabriela Dovrtělová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MVDr. Eva Dražanová (seminar tutor)
PharmDr. Irena Hradecká (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Hana Kostková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. MVDr. Leoš Landa, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jana Merhautová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Dr. Vincenzo Micale, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kristýna Nosková (seminar tutor)
PharmDr. Lenka Součková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Mgr. Karel Šlais, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tibor Štark (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Katarína Tabi (seminar tutor)
PharmDr. Miroslav Turjap, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Jana Vinklerová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Renata Bláblová (assistant)
Nithyananda Thorenoor, Ph.D. (assistant)
- doc. MUDr. Regina Demlová, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: doc. MUDr. Regina Demlová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Pharmacology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- VLFA0621c/01: Wed 7:30–10:00 A19/231, A. Máchalová
VLFA0621c/02: Wed 7:30–10:00 A19/231
VLFA0621c/03: Wed 10:20–12:50 A19/231, A. Máchalová
VLFA0621c/04: Wed 10:20–12:50 A19/231
VLFA0621c/05: Fri 8:00–10:30 A19/231
VLFA0621c/06: Fri 8:00–10:30 A19/231
VLFA0621c/07: Fri 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/08: Fri 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/09: Mon 8:00–10:30 A19/231, O. Zendulka
VLFA0621c/10: Mon 8:00–10:30 A19/231
VLFA0621c/11: Mon 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/12: Mon 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/13: Tue 8:00–10:30 A19/231
VLFA0621c/14: Tue 8:00–10:30 A19/231
VLFA0621c/15: Thu 10:45–13:15 A19/231, O. Zendulka
VLFA0621c/16: Thu 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/17: Tue 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/18: Tue 10:45–13:15 A19/231
VLFA0621c/30: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VLFA0621c/31: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VLFA0621c/32: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VLFA0621c/33: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VLFA0621c/34: No timetable has been entered into IS.
VLFA0621c/35: No timetable has been entered into IS.
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- VSPF0521c Pathophysiol. I - practice. && VSPA0521c Pathology - practicals
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- On completion of the course the student will be able to use formally correct terminology belonging to the valid Pharmacopoea in prescription and making of drug dosage forms of both individually prepared and bulk preparations. The student should be able to understand principles of "pharmacological thinking" for choosing a drug, dosing regimen, pharmacokinetic parameter calculation, differences in administration routes and specifics of pediatric and geriatric pharmacotherapy including possible impact of drug-drug interactions.
Pharmacology - practical courses
Spring semester 2015
- 1st week (16.2.-20.2.)
- Topic: INTRODUCTION, TERMINOLOGY, DOSES, PHARMACOLOGICAL CALCULATIONS.
- Course content: Organisation of practical courses and lectures. Recommended textbooks. Pharmacology – definition, basic terminology, subspecializations, drug nomenclature, type of doses. Pharmacopoea. Introduction to the latin terminology used in drug prescription. Classification of drug preparations. Pharmacological calculations. Drug dosology in paediatrics.
- Getting ready for next lesson: Repetition of latin terminology and pharmacological calculations.
- 2nd week (23.2.-27.2.)
- Topic: GENERAL RULES OF THE DRUG PRESCRIPTION
- Course content: Medical prescription: Rules of the drug prescription. Prescription of individualy prepared and ready made preparations. Legislation of drug prescription. Work with various handbooks and databases (SÚKL database, Pharmindex, AISLP etc.). Prescription of narcotic and psychotropic agents.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Repetition of general rules of drug prescription.
- 3rd week (2.3.-6.3.)
- Topic: FLUID DRUG DOSAGE FORMS FOR THE EXTERNAL USE, ORAL AND PARENTERAL USE. GASEOUS DRUG DOSAGE FORMS.
- Course content: : Application and rinse solutions; eye, ear and nose lotions, suspensions - composition and prescription. Solutions for oral administration, drops, aromatic waters, tinctures. Terminology, classification, prescription.
- Video-programme: Ready-made solutions for injections and infusions.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Repetition – pharmacological calculations.
- 4th week (9.3.-13.3.)
- Topic: SOLID DRUG DOSAGE FORMS. SOFT AND MELTING DRUG DOSAGE FORMS.
- Course content: Powders for external and internal use, capsules, tablets, teas – composition, prescription; suppositories. Ointments, pastes, plasters. Terminology, classification, prescription.
- Video-programme: Industrial production of solid drug forms. External preparations.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Repetition of prescription of selected drug forms. Repetition of general rules of the drug prescription.
- 5th week (16.3.-20.3.)
- Topic: INTRODUCTION TO THE EXPERIMENTAL PHARMACOLOGY.
- Course content: Pharmacological experiments. Laboratory animals. Protocol. Methods used in pre-clinical experiments. Ethical aspects of pharmacological experiments.
- Video-programme: Demonstration of selected experimental methods.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Transport of drugs across biological barriers. Basic principles of pharmacokinetics.
- TEST Lessons 1-4
- 6th week (23.3.-27.4.)
- Topic: INTRODUCTION TO THE PHARMACOKINETICS.
- Course content: Basic pharmacokinetic processes and parameters. One- and two-compartment kinetic models. Kinetics of the intravascular and extravascular drug administration. Practical pharmacokinetic calculations.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Pharmacokinetic calculations.
- 7th week (30.3.-3.4.)
- Topic: CASE REPORTS I - PHARMACOKINETIC INTERACTIONS. PRACTICAL PHARMACOKINETIC COMPUTATIONS.
- Course content: Computer techniques in pharmacokinetics. Therapeutic drug monitoring. Calculations of the basic pharmacokinetic parameters: Work with PC: Demonstration of software MW PHARM; Interactions of pharmacokinetic type. Modification of drug dosology in renal disorders and abnormal renal functions.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Pathophysiology of ulcer disease and vomitus.
- 8th week (7.4.-11.4.)
- Topic: PHARMACOLOGY OF GASTRODUODENAL ULCER DISEASE, PROKINETICS, ANTIEMETICS.
- Course content: Classification, mechanisms of action and clinical use of drugs in therapy of peptic ulcer and vomiting.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Physiology of ANS.
- TEST Lessons 5-7
- 9th week (13.4.-17.4.)
- Topic: PHARMACOLOGY OF THE AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM – INTRODUCTION, CHOLINERGIC DRUGS.
- Course content: Terminology, neurotransmissions in peripheral nervous system, adrenergic and cholinergic receptors, agonists and antagonists, pharmacological control of autonomic functions. Cholinergic receptors, their agonists and antagonists.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Adrenergic receptors-localization and function.
- 10th week (20.4.-24.4.)
- Topic: PHARMACOLOGY OF THE SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEM. ADRENERGIC DRUGS.
- Course content: Terminology, receptors: Adrenergic receptors, their agonists and antagonists.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Repetition of physiology of adrenal cortex hormones, repetition of pathophysiology of disorders caused by hyperproduction or insufficiency of adrenal cortex hormones.
- 11th week (27.4.-1.5.)
- Topic: GLUCOCORTICOIDS.
- Course content: Physiology and pathophysiology of adrenal cortex hormones. Natural and synthetic adrenocorticosteroids, steroid receptors, mechanism of action, pharmacological use and side effects. Examples of ready-made drug preparations.
- Getting ready for the next lesson: Repetition of physiology and biochemistry of hormones.
- TEST Lessons 8-10
- 12th week (4.5.-8.5.)
- Topic: PHARMACOLOGY OF ENDOCRINE SYSTEM.
- Course content: Endocrine therapy, hormone replacement therapy, hormonal contraceptive drugs, thyroid hormones.
- Getting ready for next lesson: Repetition of pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus.
- 13th week (11.5.-15.5.)
- Topic: ANTIDIABETIC DRUGS.
- Course content: Therapy of type 1 and 2. DM. Insulines. Peroral antidiabetics. Examples of ready-made drug preparations.
- Getting ready for next lesson: The next lesson will take place at the Centre of medicinal plants on Údolní street 74!
- TEST Lessons 11-12
- 14th week (18.5.-22.5.)
- Topic: EXCURSION TO THE CENTRE OF MEDICINAL PLANTS.
- 15th week (25.5.-29.5.)
- Topic: PHARMACOLOGY OF MEDICINAL PLANTS.
- Course content: History, classification and chemistry of plant drugs, their practical medicinal use. Demonstration and tasting of selected types of plant products (teas, macerates). Demonstration of selected drug forms and raw materials used for their preparation.
- required literature
- LINCOVÁ, Dagmar and Hassan FARGHALI. Základní a aplikovaná farmakologie. 2., dopl. a přeprac. vyd. Praha: Galén, 2007. xxiv, 672. ISBN 9788072623730. info
- recommended literature
- DOSTÁLEK, Miroslav, Jan JUŘICA, Eva JANOŠTÍKOVÁ and Lucia ZAHRADNÍKOVÁ. Farmakokinetika (Pharmacokinetics). ČR: Grada, 2006. 220 pp. Farmacie a farmakologie. ISBN 80-247-1464-7. info
- RANG, H. P. Rang and Dale's pharmacology. 6th ed. [S.l.]: Churchill Livingstone, 2007. xiii, 829. ISBN 9780443069116. info
- Ritter, James M. - Lewis, Lionel D. - Mant, Timothy G.K. - Ferro, Albert. A Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 5th Ed., Hodder Arnold, 2008. 465 s. ISBN 978-0-340-90046-8
- Pharmaceutical Practice, 3rd Ed. Winfield, A.J. & Richards, R.M.E., eds. Churchill Livingstone, 2004, ISBN 0443 07206 X
- HOWLAND, Richard D. and Mary Julia MYCEK. Pharmacology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006. vii, 552. ISBN 0781741181. info
- Waller, Derek - Renwick, Andrew G. - Hillier, Keith. Medical pharmacology and therapeutics. 3rd ed. New York : Elsevier Saunders, 2009. ix, 744 p. ISBN 0-7020-2991-2.
- not specified
- Český lékopis 2009. Praha: Grada, 2011. 1 DVD. ISBN 8594049240180. info
- Teaching methods
- Practicals, the teaching process of include theoretical setting up as well as practical training of knowledge and skills stated in Syllabus. Included are also individual work with specific pharmacological softwares and homeworks on the selected topics, presented and discussed afterward in class.
- Assessment methods
- The participation in practicals is obligatory and registered. To get a credits a student has to pass 3 written tests: a) on Latin terminology (assessed individually by the teacher)+ b) on drug prescription (assessed individually by the teacher), c)3 x multiple-choice test on knowledge of topics taught (score higher than 60% of maximum to pass).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- VLDM7X1p Diagnostic Imaging Methods - lecture
VLCP0622c && VSIP0622c && VSPF0622c && VSPA0622c && VSNV041p && VLFA0621c
- VLFA0722c Pharmacology II - practice
VLFA0621c && (VSAJ0222 || VLAJ0222 || VSCJ0686 || VSNJ0222 || VSSJ0222)
- VLFA0722p Pharmacology - lectures
VLFA0621c && (VSAJ0222 || VLAJ0222 || VSCJ0686 || VSNJ0222 || VSSJ0222)
- VSEI7X1 Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases lecture
VSSL051p && (STLM0522p || VLLM0522p) && VSIP0622c && VLCP0622c && VLFA0621c
- VSEI7X1a Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases - practice
VSSL051p && (STLM0522p || VLLM0522p ) && VSIP0622c && VLCP0622c && VLFA0621c
- VSOT7X1p Otorhinolaryngology - lecture
VSPF0622p && VSPA0622p && VSIP0622c && (VLCP0622c || STCP0622c) && (STLM0522p || VLLM0522p ) && (VLIM051p || STIM051p) && VLFA0621c
- VLDM7X1p Diagnostic Imaging Methods - lecture