PřF:Bi8090 Gene engineering - Course Information
Bi8090 Gene engineeringFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Petr Beneš, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 1. 3. to Fri 14. 5. Thu 16:00–17:50 online_B1
- Ex_2979 Metody molekulární biologie || Ex_2980 Metody molekulární genetiky || B6390 Molecular Methods || B6400 Methods of molecular biology || Bi6400 Methods of molecular biology || NOW ( Bi6400 Methods of molecular biology ) || SOUHLAS
Going through the basic lecture from Molecular biology and Methods of Molecular Biology; it is recommended to go through the lectures from Molecular Biology of Prokaryotes, Molecular Biology of Viruses, Molecular biology of Eukaryotes
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 14 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course students will be able to explain the basic principles of gene engineering, preparation of transgenic organisms and their use in the research and in industry, medicine and agriculture.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to understand and explain the basic principles of gene engineering, preparation of transgenic organisms and their use in the research and in industry, medicine and agriculture.
- 1. What is genetic engineering, Content of the lectures.
- 2.Mutagenesis in vitro,
- 3.Optimalizatiopn of gene expresion in heterologous organisms.
- 4.Gene clonig in G+ bacteria, (Bacillus, Streptomyces).
- 5. Vectors for gene cloning to eukaryotic cells. Selection markers. Electroporation, biolistic method, liposomes,transfectiopn.
- 6.Gene cloning in yeasts.
- 7. Preparation of transgenic plants, properties of transgenic plants, Ti-vectors.
- 8. Gene cloning in animal cell and its application.
- 9.Gene therapy, in vitro a in vivo.
- 10.Genetically modified organisms as producers of farmaceutics and other important substances.
- 11. Chromosome engineering. CRISPR/Cas.
- 12. Risks of preparation of transgenic organisms, rules of work safety with transgenic organisms. Legislation on the handling of GMOs.
- recommended literature
- PRIMROSE, S. B. and Richard M. TWYMAN. Principles of gene manipulation and genomics. 7th ed. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell Publishing, 2006. xxii, 644. ISBN 1405135441. info
- Microbial biotechnology : principles and applications. Edited by Y. K. Lee. 3rd ed. New Jersey: World Scientific, 2013. xvi, 877. ISBN 9789814366823. info
- not specified
- GLICK, Bernard R., Jack J. PASTERNAK and Cheryl L. PATTEN. Molecular biotechnology : principles and applications of recombinant DNA. 4th ed. Washington, D.C.: ASM Press, 2010. xvi, 1000. ISBN 9781555814984. info
- An introduction to molecular biotechnology : fundamentals, methods, and applications. Edited by Michael Wink. 2nd, update ed. Weinheim: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. xxxiii, 60. ISBN 9783527326372. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures are based on power-point pictures, tables and texts elaborated according to textbooks, monographs and scientific papers which are explained and complemented with live commentaries. All the presentations are available in IS.
- Assessment methods
- Oral examination follows the written test in which students should answer 8-10 questions covering main topics of the lecture. During the oral examinations the students have to prove their knowledge on particular examples. To pass the exam they should answer 70% of the answers.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Předmět se doporučuje zapsat v 2. nebo 4. semestru.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2021/Bi8090