PřF:G4231 Course of Geological Document. - Course Information
G4231 Course of Geological DocumentationFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Tomáš Kumpan, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jan Petřík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Tomáš Kumpan, Ph.D.
Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Ing. Jana Pechmannová
Supplier department: Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- ! G4221 Geoscience Areal Documentation && ! NOW ( G4221 Geoscience Areal Documentation ) && ( G3081k Methods of Geological Research || G3081 Methods of Geological Research )
Basic knowledge of geology, mineralogy, and petrology
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 38 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main objective of the course is to acquire practical skills for the documentation of geological objects. Students will learn general methods of geological mapping and detailed logging of outcrops, exposures, and shallow boreholes or trenches. The final report will be submitted at the end of the course.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- perform geological mapping;
- take representative samples;
- document outcrops, exposures, shallow bore holes and trenches;
- plot data acquired in field;
- Field techniques and methods of geological mapping, textures, and structures of the rocks, rocks classification, using of the geological compass, geological map, and section.
- recommended literature
- STOW, D. A. V. Sedimentary rocks in the field : a colour guide. London: Manson Publishing, 2005. 320 s. ISBN 1874545685. info
- TUCKER, Maurice E. Sedimentary rocks in the field. 3rd ed. Chichester: Wiley, 2003. ix, 234. ISBN 0470851236. info
- not specified
- Hanžl P., Verner K. Basic principles of geological and thematic mapping. Czech Geological Survey, Prague, 2018. 107 s. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.12898.99523.
- Teaching methods
- Field works
- Assessment methods
- Final project
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 5 dnů.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2024/G4231