PřF:F5370 Biophysical labs by UFKL - Course Information
F5370 Biophysical labs by UFKLFaculty of Science
spring 2012 - acreditation
The information about the term spring 2012 - acreditation is not made public
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/3. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: graded credit.
- prof. Dr. Jiří Kozelka, PhD. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Karel Kubíček, PhD. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Josef Humlíček, CSc.
Department of Condensed Matter Physics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Karel Kubíček, PhD.
Supplier department: Department of Condensed Matter Physics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Biophysics (programme PřF, B-FY)
- Course objectives
- This practical course is focused on protein expression and purification (cytochrome b5 and/or c). It is possible to express an alternative protein of student's choice; however, the student has to discuss this with the head of this course.
After successful passing of this laboratory course the students should be able to
- list and describe basic operations during protein expression
- apply these methods for a generic protein.
- 1) cell-growth and OD monitoring
- 2) centrifugation and sonication
- 3) vertical and horizontal ELFO
- 4) purification of the expressed protein using liquid chromatography
- The student(s) will prepare all buffers and media as well as gels as a part of this course.
- The protocols and other materials will be provided handed to the student during the first informative course.
- Pollock, W.B.R., Rosell, F.I., Twitchett, M.B., Dumont, M.E. & Mauk, A.G. (1998) Bacterial expression of a mitochondrial cytochrome c. Trimethylation of lys72 in yeast iso-1-cytochrome c and alkaline conformational transition. Biochemistry 37, 6124-6131.
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practice, with continuous checking of the students' preparedness via discussion
- Assessment methods
- In this practical course, the student is awarded graded credit after a completion of the course with 100% participation with respect to the student's understanding of the process of protein expression.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Teacher's information