PdF:RCSZ_AJC1 English for Academic Purposes - Course Information
RCSZ_AJC1 English for Academic PurposesFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Jiří Vacek, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Jiří Vacek, CSc.
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- RCSZ_AJC1/V: Thu 16:10–17:50 učebna 12, J. Vacek
- The English for Academic Purposes course has been designed for intermediate and upper-intermediate doctoral program students at Masaryk University Faculty of Education (Level C1). The students should have already passed their examinations in general English at PdF MU. The examination corresponds to Council of Europe Level C1. The students can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. The student can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed texts on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- PhD. program students: In the English for Academic Purposes course the postgraduate students of Masaryk University Faculty of Education will consolidate their language skills, widen their knowledge of terminology related to their specialization, and learn certain academic skills (presentations, CV and letter of application writing, note-taking, summary writing, etc.) in English. At the examination, the student will discuss the home-reading of 200-250 pages of the text related to the field of study, read and translate into Czech an extract of the text, as well as produce the abstract and structure of the thesis explaining research methods and academic outcomes of the thesis.
- (PhD. program students) In the English for Academic Purposes course the postgraduate students of Masaryk University Faculty of Education will consolidate their language skills, widen their knowledge of the terminology relating to their specialization, and learn some selected academic skills (presentations, CVs, letters of application, note-taking, abstract writing, etc.) in English.
- VACEK, Jiří and Duncan HENDY. Analýza odborného anglického textu pro studenty společného základu PdF MU (English Texts for Specific Purposes). 1st ed. Masarykova univerzita: Masarykova univerzita, 2006. 102 pp. MU, Pedagogická fakulta, Brno 2006. ISBN 80-210-3967-1. info
- GILL, Nora, Jiří VACEK, Ruth COUFALOVÁ, Olga INGROVÁ and Jana KOLLÁROVÁ. Communicative ESP Practice for Pre-Service Teachers. 1st ed. Olomouc: Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic, 2003. 109 pp. English Texts. ISBN 80-244-0652-7. info
- Brown, K. Hood, S. Academic Encounters. Life in society. CUP 2004. ISBN 0521 66616 3
- Assessment methods
- Consultations, special seminars; Successful students will be credited for: - Reading comprehension (special authentic text of 200-250 pages) - Oral presentation (presenting the PhD thesis structure and results) - Discussion about the doctoral research performed - Writing a summary of a current newspaper article A copy of an authentic English text (200-250 pages)to be submitted to the examiner two days before the examination at the latest.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: zkouška podle podmínek pro doktorandské studium MU
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
General note: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia na PdF MU.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: konzultace.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia PedF MU