PdF:RCSZ_AJC1 English for Academic Purposes - Course Information
RCSZ_AJC1 English for Academic PurposesFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Jiří Vacek, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jana Kollárová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Jiří Vacek, CSc.
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Language Centre
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- RCSZ_AJC1/01: Mon 8:50–10:30 učebna 12, J. Vacek
- The English for Academic Purposes course has been designed for the intermediate and upper-intermediate doctoral program students at Masaryk University Faculty of Education (Level C1). The students should have already passed their examinations in general English. The examination corresponds to the Council of Europe Level C1 requirements (the students can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning, can express themselves fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions). The student will be able to use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes, will produce clear, well-structured, detailed texts on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- During the EAP course, the PhD student will:
- consolidate their B2 ERR language skills and build up C1 competence;
- widen their knowledge of terminology related to the specialization;
- learn other academic skills in English (C1-level academic reading and listening, presenting PhD thesis, writing an abstract, etc.);
- get ready for a successful pass in the EAP examination;
- - Entry EAP e-test
- - Academic English (online grammar and vocabulary revision)
- - Listening comprehension (online audio e-tests)
- - Oral presentation skills
- - Reading comprehension, special terminology
- - Academic writing (abstract writing)
- recommended literature
- ŠTĚPÁNEK, Libor, Janice DE HAAFF, Alena HRADILOVÁ and David SCHÜLLER. Academic English – Akademická angličtina: Průvodce anglickým jazykem pro studenty, akademiky a vědce (Academic English: a guide for students, academics and scientists). Praha: Grada, 2011. 224 pp. ISBN 978-80-247-3577-1. info
- MCCARTHY, Michael and Felicity O'DELL. Academic vocabulary in use. First published. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. 176 stran. ISBN 9780521689397. info
- 1. Cullen, Pauline. Vocabulary for IELTS. Cambridge University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-521-70975-0
- 3. Cambridge IELTS with answers. Cambridge University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-521-54462-7.
- Brown, K. Hood, S. Academic Encounters. Life in society. CUP 2004. ISBN 0521 66616 3
- The Prague Post (www.praguepost.cz)
- Teaching methods
- Seminars, in-class discussions, e-learning
- Assessment methods
- Electronic testing (70% pass), oral examination (A-F grading);
Successful student will be credited for:
- Academic Grammar and Vocabulary test (70% pass)
- Listening comprehension test (70% pass)
- Writing a summary of an unknown text (Pass/Fail)
- Reading comprehension (analysis of special authentic texts of 200-250 pages; Pass/Fail)
- Oral presentation (discussion on the research performed, and presenting PhD thesis structure and outcome); A-F graded performance
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: zkouška podle podmínek pro doktorandské studium MU
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
General note: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia na PdF MU.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: konzultace.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia PedF MU
- Teacher's information