PdF:RCSZ_AJC1 English for Academic Purposes - Course Information
RCSZ_AJC1 English for Academic PurposesFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Jiří Vacek, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Jiří Vacek, CSc.
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- RCSZ_AJC1/V: Thu 16:10–17:50 učebna 12, J. Vacek
- The English for Academic Purposes course has been designed for the intermediate and upper-intermediate doctoral program students at Masaryk University Faculty of Education (Level C1). The students should have already passed their examinations in general English. The examination corresponds to the Council of Europe Level C1 requirements (the students can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning, can express themselves fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions). The student will be able to use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes, will produce clear, well-structured, detailed texts on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- During the EAP course, the PhD student will:
- consolidate their B2 ERR language skills;
- widen their knowledge of terminology related to the specialization;
- learn other academic skills in English (C1-level academic reading and listening, presenting PhD thesis, writing an abstract, etc.);
- get ready for a successful pass in the EAP examination;
- - Entry EAP e-test
- - Academic English (online grammar and vocabulary revision)
- - Listening comprehension (online audio e-tests)
- - Oral presentation skills
- - Reading comprehension, special terminology
- - Academic writing (abstract writing)
- MCCARTHY, Michael and Felicity O'DELL. Academic vocabulary in use. First published. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. 176 stran. ISBN 9780521689397. info
- VACEK, Jiří and Duncan HENDY. Analýza odborného anglického textu pro studenty společného základu PdF MU (English Texts for Specific Purposes). 1st ed. Masarykova univerzita: Masarykova univerzita, 2006. 102 pp. MU, Pedagogická fakulta, Brno 2006. ISBN 80-210-3967-1. info
- GILL, Nora, Jiří VACEK, Ruth COUFALOVÁ, Olga INGROVÁ and Jana KOLLÁROVÁ. Communicative ESP Practice for Pre-Service Teachers. 1st ed. Olomouc: Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic, 2003. 109 pp. English Texts. ISBN 80-244-0652-7. info
- Brown, K. Hood, S. Academic Encounters. Life in society. CUP 2004. ISBN 0521 66616 3
- Teaching methods
- Seminars, in-class discussions, online e-learning
- Assessment methods
- Electronic testing (70% pass), oral examination (A-F grading);
Successful student will be credited for:
- Academic Grammar and Vocabulary test (70% pass)
- Listening comprehension test (70% pass)
- Writing a summary of an unknown text (Pass/Fail)
- Reading comprehension (analysis of special authentic texts of 200-250 pages; Pass/Fail)
- Oral presentation (discussion on the research performed, and presenting PhD thesis structure and outcome); A-F graded performance
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: Zkouška podle podmínek pro doktorské studium MU
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
General note: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia PdF MU.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: konzultace.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorandského studia PdF MU
- Teacher's information