PdF:RCSZ_AJC1 English for PhD Studies - Course Information
RCSZ_AJC1 English for PhD StudiesFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Daniela Dvořáková (assistant)
Mgr. Gabriela Hublová, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Veronika Dvořáčková, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Language Centre
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- RCSZ_AJC1/01: Mon 13:55–15:35 učebna 12, V. Dvořáčková
- The English for Academic Purposes course has been designed for the upper-intermediate doctoral program students at Masaryk University Faculty of Education (Level C1). The students should have already passed their examinations in general English. The examination corresponds to the Council of Europe Level C1 requirements (the students can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning, can express themselves fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions). The student will be able to use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes, will produce clear, well-structured, detailed texts on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 20 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- During the EAP course, the PhD student will:
- consolidate their B2 ERR language skills and build up C1 competence;
- widen their knowledge of terminology related to their field of study and research;
- learn other academic skills in English (C1-level academic reading and listening, presenting PhD thesis, writing an abstract, etc.);
- get ready for a successful pass in EAP examination;
- - Entry EAP e-test
- - Academic English (online grammar and vocabulary revision), English for conference presentations
- - Listening comprehension (online audio e-tests)
- - Oral presentation skills
- - Reading comprehension, special terminology
- - Academic writing (abstract writing) Detailed interactive weekly program (Interaktivní osnova předmětu)
- recommended literature
- ŠTĚPÁNEK, Libor, Janice DE HAAFF, Alena HRADILOVÁ and David SCHÜLLER. Academic English – Akademická angličtina: Průvodce anglickým jazykem pro studenty, akademiky a vědce (Academic English: a guide for students, academics and scientists). Praha: Grada, 2011. 224 pp. ISBN 978-80-247-3577-1. info
- MCCARTHY, Michael and Felicity O'DELL. Academic vocabulary in use. First published. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. 176 stran. ISBN 9780521689397. info
- Certificate in Advanced English. Cambridge University Press. 2009. ISBN 978-0-521-71443-3
- 1. Cullen, Pauline. Vocabulary for IELTS. Cambridge University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-521-70975-0
- 3. Cambridge IELTS with answers. Cambridge University Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-521-54462-7.
- The Prague Post (praguepost.com)
- Teaching methods
- Seminars, in-class discussions, e-learning, presentations, home assignments
- Assessment methods
- Final examination (Level C1): 1. Oral part (30%) a) Structured presentation of PhD research - thesis aims, structure, research methods, outcomes, resources; b) Reading comprehension (home reading of 200-250 pages; special texts related to the PhD research; (20 %) 2. Written part - electronic testing on PC (50%) a) Academic Vocabulary test b) Listening comprehension test c) Writing – short structured essay - expressing opinion on a topic
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Zkouška podle podmínek pro doktorské studium MU
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
General note: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia PdF MU.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia na PdF MU
- Teacher's information