FI:PA176 Architecture of Digit. Syst.II - Course Information
PA176 Architecture of Digital Systems IIFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Ing. Václav Přenosil, CSc. (lecturer)
Ing. Jiří Čulen (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 12:00–13:50 A415
- Course PV172 is recommended.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 48 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main aim of this course is to understand and master theoretical knowledge and practical virtuosity necessary for design high-performance digital systems. The lessons are specialized in particular into the following topics:
- application of the modern design components;
- the methodology of the modular systems;
- connecting with external devices.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, students will be able to:
explain the principle of assembling powerful and functionally;
reliable digital system structures;
design a reliable digital system using contemporary design elements;
work with external devices connected to digital systems;
work with the MIPS instruction set;
- Digital computer main parts - sequencer
- Digital system structure
- Operational memory addressing methods
- Operational and CACHE memory structure, operation principles
- Microprocessor structure, Interruption system principles
- Direct memory access principles
- Digital processing chain
- Digital signal processing methods
- Signal spectra estimation methods
- Analog – digital converters
- Digital- analog converters
- Input – output devices
- Power supply unit, switch - mode power supply
- Primary power supply, battery, accumulators
- recommended literature
- DOUŠA, J., PLUHÁČEK, V. Introduction to computer systems. Praha: ČVUT, 2000
- PATTERSON, David A. and John L. HENNESSY. Computer organization and design : the hardware/software interface. 4th rev. ed. Waltham: Morgan Kaufmann, 2012. 703, . ISBN 9780123747501. info
- not specified
- 3. HDL - Chip Design, Douglas J. Smith, ISBN 0-9651934-3-8
- Teaching methods
- Lectures that correspond to intended aims of tuition.
- Assessment methods
- The final examination consists of 3 parts:
1) defense of the project - implementation of the design from laboratory lessons and discussion about protocol;
2) design of the circuit and verification of the design by laboratory tools;
3) oral exam - theoretical problems from a list of the passed subjects.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Teaching takes place on hardware and software in the Laboratory EmLab - A415. All used documentation and instructions are only available in English.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/spring2021/PA176