LF:BLLC0111p Med.Chem.- lecture - Course Information
BLLC0111p Medical Chemistry-lectureFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Jiří Dostál, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. MUDr. Vladimír Palyza, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. MUDr. Jaromír Sláma, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Eva Táborská, CSc. (lecturer)
RNDr. Hana Bochořáková (assistant)
Lenka Nerudová (assistant)
Mgr. Jiří Slanina, Ph.D. (assistant)
doc. RNDr. Josef Tomandl, Ph.D. (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Vladimír Palyza, CSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Lenka Nerudová
- Mon 9:30–11:20 N02901
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Laboratory Assistant (programme LF, B-SZ)
- Course objectives
- Graduate in chemistry has knowledge that is necessary for understanding of chemical principles applied in further study subjects, especially in biochemistry. General chemistry provides students with understanding of solution properties and basic physico-chemical laws. Inorganic chemistry gives the overview of properties of elements and inorganic compounds important for medicine, nutrition and toxicology. Organic and bioorganic chemistry enable students to become familiar with compounds and reactions taking part in metabolism and with organic compounds that have importance in toxicology.
- Chemical reactions, kinetics, chemical equilibrium. The driving force of chemical reactions, free Gibbs energy.
- Solutions of substances. Dissociation of electrolytes, the equilibria in electrolyte solutions.Precipitation reactions.
- Protolytic reactions: acids and bases, pH values, hydrolysis of salts, buffers.
- Oxidation-reduction reactions, redox potentials, the e.m. force of a voltaic cell and the relation to the reaction free energy change.
- Essential macroelements important for living matter, general properties of them and of some of their compounds.
- Carbon compounds: their constitution, configuration, isomerism, and conformation. Types of organic compounds, the principals of nomenclature. Hydrocarbons, major types, structures, reactivity.
- Derivatives of hydrocarbons: alcohols, thioalcohols, phenols, carbonyl compounds, and carboxylic acids.
- Substituted carboxylic acids and derivatives of the acids (esters, amides, anhydrides, halides).
- Amines and the other derivatives of hydrocarbons.
- Heterocyclic compounds and biochemically important derivatives. Alkaloids.
- Structures and properties of monosaccharides. Simple sugar derivatives. Oligosaccharides, polysaccharides.
- Heteroglycosides. Nucleosides, nucleotides, structures of nucleic acids.
- Fatty acids and alcohols in lipids. Triacylglycerols and waxes. Phospholipids and glycolipids.
- Icosanoids. Isoprenoids. Steroids, structures of representative compounds.
- Standard and other alpha-amino acids, structures and common properties, polarity. Peptides, some groups of peptides exhibiting biological activity.
- Proteins, main features of the structure of globular, fibrous, and membrane proteins. Glycoproteins. Haemoproteins, haem and other tetrapyrrols.
- TÁBORSKÁ, Eva, Hana BOCHOŘÁKOVÁ, Jiří DOSTÁL, Hana PAULOVÁ, Jaromír SLÁMA, Jiří SLANINA, Jaroslava TALLOVÁ and Josef TOMANDL. Lékařská chemie I. Obecná a anorganická chemie. 2. přepracované. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2005. 156 pp. učební text. ISBN 80-210-3790-3. info
- DOSTÁL, Jiří, Hana BOCHOŘÁKOVÁ, Hana PAULOVÁ, Jaromír SLÁMA, Jiří SLANINA, Jaroslava TALLOVÁ, Josef TOMANDL and Marie TOMANDLOVÁ. Lékařská chemie II - Bioorganická chemie. 2. zcela přepracované. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2005. 166 pp. ISBN 80-210-3789-X. info
- Assessment methods
- The course is completed by oral examination.Supplementary subjects are seminars and practicals (BLLC011c and BLLC011s). Student must have course-unit credit of seminar and practicals in the day of exam. List of examination questions and other instruction you can find in the section Study materials.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: celkem 30 hodin.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses