LF:BLLC0111p Med.Chem.- lecture - Course Information
BLLC0111p Medical Chemistry-lectureFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Jiří Dostál, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. MUDr. Vladimír Palyza, CSc. (lecturer)
RNDr. Hana Paulová, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jiří Slanina, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Eva Táborská, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. RNDr. Josef Tomandl, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PharmDr. Lenka Adámková, Ph.D. (assistant)
RNDr. Hana Bochořáková (assistant)
Ing. Martina Čarnecká, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Jana Gregorová, Ph.D. (assistant)
MUDr. Miroslava Hlaváčová, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Jana Kantorová (assistant)
MUDr. Michaela Králíková, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Milena Matejovičová, Ph.D. (assistant)
Ing. Jitka Melounová, Ph.D. (assistant)
Lenka Nerudová (assistant)
Mgr. Ondřej Peš, Ph.D. (assistant)
Ing. Jana Simonová, Ph.D. (assistant)
PharmDr. Kristýna Šebrlová, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Marie Tomandlová, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Eva Táborská, CSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Lenka Nerudová
Supplier department: Department of Biochemistry - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Mon 23. 9. to Fri 20. 12. Mon 9:30–11:20 B11/334; and Mon 16. 9. 9:30–11:20 B22/116 aula
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Laboratory Assistant (programme LF, B-SZ)
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students have knowledge that is necessary for understanding of chemical principles applied in further study subjects, especially in biochemistry.He/she understand solution properties and basic physico-chemical laws. Describes the properties of elements and inorganic compounds important for medicine, nutrition and toxicology. Discuses the structure of compounds and reactions taking part in metabolism and organic compounds that have importance in toxicology.
- Chemical reactions, kinetics, chemical equilibrium. The driving force of chemical reactions, free Gibbs energy.
- Solutions of substances. Dissociation of electrolytes, the equilibria in electrolyte solutions.Precipitation reactions.
- Protolytic reactions: acids and bases, pH values, hydrolysis of salts, buffers.
- Oxidation-reduction reactions, redox potentials, the e.m. force of a voltaic cell and the relation to the reaction free energy change.
- Essential macroelements important for living matter, general properties of them and of some of their compounds.
- Carbon compounds: their constitution, configuration, isomerism, and conformation. Types of organic compounds, the principals of nomenclature. Hydrocarbons, major types, structures, reactivity.
- Derivatives of hydrocarbons: alcohols, thioalcohols, phenols, carbonyl compounds, and carboxylic acids.
- Substituted carboxylic acids and derivatives of the acids (esters, amides, anhydrides, halides).
- Amines and the other derivatives of hydrocarbons.
- Heterocyclic compounds and biochemically important derivatives. Alkaloids.
- Structures and properties of monosaccharides. Simple sugar derivatives. Oligosaccharides, polysaccharides.
- Heteroglycosides. Nucleosides, nucleotides, structures of nucleic acids.
- Fatty acids and alcohols in lipids. Triacylglycerols and waxes. Phospholipids and glycolipids.
- Icosanoids. Isoprenoids. Steroids, structures of representative compounds.
- Standard and other alpha-amino acids, structures and common properties, polarity. Peptides, some groups of peptides exhibiting biological activity.
- Proteins, main features of the structure of globular, fibrous, and membrane proteins. Glycoproteins. Haemoproteins, haem and other tetrapyrrols.
- required literature
- TÁBORSKÁ, Eva, Hana BOCHOŘÁKOVÁ, Jiří DOSTÁL, Hana PAULOVÁ, Jaromír SLÁMA, Jiří SLANINA, Jaroslava TALLOVÁ and Josef TOMANDL. Lékařská chemie I. Obecná a anorganická chemie. 2. přepracované. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2005. 156 pp. učební text. ISBN 80-210-3790-3. info
- DOSTÁL, Jiří, Hana BOCHOŘÁKOVÁ, Hana PAULOVÁ, Jaromír SLÁMA, Jiří SLANINA, Jaroslava TALLOVÁ, Josef TOMANDL and Marie TOMANDLOVÁ. Lékařská chemie II - Bioorganická chemie. 2. zcela přepracované. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2005. 166 pp. ISBN 80-210-3789-X. info
- Teaching methods
- Teaching form are lectures. Supplementary subjects are seminars and practicals (VSLC011c and VSLC011c).
- Assessment methods
- The examination has two parts. First part is a simple test on computer, the second part is oral. test includes 25 basal questions from all topics, incliding calculations of concentration, pH and osmolarity. Sample test will be available till the end of october on IS. For continuation with oral examination is required at least 13 correct answers.Oral examination has 3 questions. Student must have course-unit credit of seminar and practicals in the day of exam. List of examination questions and other instruction you can find in the section Study materials.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: celkem 30 hodin.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses