VSEI7X1 Epidemiology of Infectious DiseasesFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Kräuff Rainer Schwanhaeuser Wulff, MBA, Ph.D. et Ph.D., M.A. (lecturer)
MUDr. Miroslava Zavřelová (lecturer)
Marie Sekaninová (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc.
Department of Public Health - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Public Health - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- VSSL051p Social Medicine - lecture && ( STLM0522p Medical Microbiology II-lect. || VLLM0522p Medical Microbiology II - lect ) && VSIP0622c Introduction to internal II-pr && VLFA0621c Pharmacology I - p && VLCP0622c Introduc. to surgery II -pr.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Students will be able at the end of course "epidemiology of infectious diseases" to understand and explain the epidemic process and factors affecting the transmission of infections.
They will be capable to use the information about the current events and epidemiologic situation.
Students should be able to create repressive anti-epidemic measures in outbreaks.
They should master the basic theoretic and practical knowledge of infectious and non-communicable diseases epidemiology in order to implement preventive measures.
Finishing the course, students will be able to give a reasoned decision in relation to the cumulative incidence of known infectious diseases and on the basis of acquired knowledge to derive anti-epidemic measures, even for those unusual situations, such as mutated viruses, and high contagious diseases, etc.
Students will be able to interpret laboratory and clinical examinations in relation to the transmission of infections.
- Goals of the epidemiology.
- The basic knowlegde of epidemiology - understanding the epidemiological metodology (descriptive, analytic, experimental epidemiology).
- Epidemic process; etiology and risk factors of epidemic diseases.
- Form of sources of infection.
- Contagiosity in particular stage of the disease.
- Cariership of patogenic microorganisms. Animals as source of infection.
- Transmission of infectious diseases, phases of transmission.
- Susceptibility of the population to the infection.
- Active and passive vaccination.
- Natural, social-economic factors.
- Global epidemiology, epidemiologic surveillance.
- Programme of eradication and elimination of infectious diseases.
- Principles of control of infectious diseases – elimination of the source, interruption of transmission of infectious agents, measures in a focus of infection.
- required literature
- REQUIRED LITERATURE
- 1. Stone DB, Armstrong WR, Macrina DM, Pankau JW: Introduction to epidemiology. Dubuque, IA - USA: Brown & Benchmark Publishers; 1996. pp 22-63, 115-150.
- 2. Farmer R, Lawrenson R, Miller D: Epidemiology and public health medicine. 5th edition. Oxford - U.K.: Blackwell Publishing; 2004. pp 7-13, 91-126.
- 3. Bakoss P, Baška T, Bazovská S, Kmety E, Maďar R et al: Compendium of epidemiology. Edited by Pavol Bakoss. Bratislava - Slovak Republic: Comenius University Bratislava; 1999. pp 3-138.
- 4. Bonita R, Beaglehole R, Kjellström: Basic epidemiology. 2nd edition. Geneva - Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2006. pp 117-131.
- 5. www.who.int (information not found in the books).
- 6. www.cdc.gov (information not found in the books).
- 7. http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/Pages/home.aspx (information not found in the books).
- recommended literature
- DOPORUČENÁ LITERATURA
- ŠMERHOVSKÝ, Zdeněk, Dana GÖPFERTOVÁ and Jitka FEBEROVÁ. Medicína založená na důkazech z pohledu klinické epidemiologie. 1. vydání. Praha: Karolinum, 2007. 245 stran. ISBN 9788024613147. info
- Manuál prevence v lékařské praxi 4 :základy prevence infekčních onemocnění. Edited by Kamil Provazník. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní zdravotní ústav, 1996. 126 s. ISBN 80-7168-400-7. info
- Nozokomiální nákazy. Edited by Helena Šrámová. [1. vyd.]. Praha: MAXDORF-JESSENIUS, 1995. 224 s. ISBN 80-85912-00-7. info
- Manuál prevence v lékařské praxi. Edited by Kamil Provazník - Lumír Komárek. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní zdravotní ústav, 2001. 63 s. ISBN 8070711949. info
- Teaching methods
Reading and studying ALL REQUIRED LITERATURE.
For those who will have to write research projects and seminar papers during third, fourth and fifth year, it is strongly recommended to enrol the following courses:
VSIL021 - Information literacy - (3 credits) - e-learning.
VSKP041 - A course of working with information sources and tools (4 credits).
- Assessment methods
- COLLOQUIUM INFORMATION:
1. To sit for colloquium, it will be required to successfully complete the pre-requisite subjects and to have obtained the subjectʼs credit - VSEI7X1a.
2. Each student must register in the Information System (IS) in one of the offered examination terms. The examination has fixed examination terms / dates - (Only during the examination period, except the examination pre-term). No extra-terms will be given.
3. Students registered to an examination term will fail the term if:
a-) arrive late the examination day.
b-) they are not present and previously do not cancel the term in the stipulated periods (see IS).
4. In case of failure, EACH STUDENT CAN RETAKE THE COLLOQUIUM TWO MORE TIMES, only in given terms (according to Masaryk University study rules).
5. In case of failure during the third term (second resit), the student must repeat the course in the following school year.
6. All colloquium questions are based on ALL REQUIRED LITERATURE, seminars and lectures .
Colloquium → Oral examination → 1 question on general epidemiology and 1 question on special epidemiology.
*** This subject is part of the Public Health State Examination ***
See VLZP11XX - Public Health State Examination.
ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT, PLAGIARISM DETECTION AND ETHICAL ISSUES:
1. Any attempts of ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT, such as cheating or assisting someone else to cheat during the colloquium, will result in disciplinary actions, such as:
a-) You will be required to hand over your examination paper (preparation paper) and asked to leave the examination room. This means, you failed the examination (examination term), with the respective score F / 4, on your academic records in the information system.
b-) Opening disciplinary proceedings.
c-) Failing the subject / course.
d-) Expulsion from university.
2. During the colloquium, it is forbidden to:
a-) Use smart phones / Tablets.
b-) Use laptops.
c-) To wear earphones or headphones (if not medical prescribed).
d-) To talk.
*In such cases, disciplinary actions will be taken (See above numeral 1).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: in blocks.
- Teacher's information