LF:VSEI7X1 Epidemiology of Infect. Diseas - Course Information
VSEI7X1 Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases - lectureFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Kräuff Rainer Schwanhaeuser Wulff, MBA, Ph.D. et Ph.D., M.A. (lecturer)
MUDr. Miroslava Zavřelová (seminar tutor)
Jana Neckářová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc.
Department of Public Health - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: MUDr. Marie Kolářová, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Public Health - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- VSSL051p Social Medicine - lecture && ( STLM0522p Medical Microbiology II-lect. || VLLM0522p Medical Microbiology II - lect ) && VSIP0622c Introduction to internal II-pr && VLCP0622c Introduc. to surgery II -pr. && VLFA0621c Pharmacology I - p
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Students will be able at the end of course "epidemiology of infectious diseases" to understand and explain the epidemic process and factors affecting the transmission of infections.
They will be capable to use the information about the current events and epidemiologic situation.
Students should be able to create repressive anti-epidemic measures in outbreaks.
They should master the basic theoretic and practical knowledge of infectious and non-communicable diseases epidemiology in order to implement preventive measures.
Finishing the course, students will be able to give a reasoned decision in relation to the cumulative incidence of known infectious diseases and on the basis of acquired knowledge to derive anti-epidemic measures, even for those unusual situations, such as mutated viruses, and high contagious diseases, etc.
Students will be able to interpret laboratory and clinical examinations in relation to the transmission of infections.
- Goals of the epidemiology.
- The basic knowlegde of epidemiology - understanding the epidemiological metodology (descriptive, analytic, experimental epidemiology).
- Epidemic process; etiology and risk factors of epidemic diseases.
- Form of sources of infection.
- Contagiosity in particular stage of the disease.
- Cariership of patogenic microorganisms. Animals as source of infection.
- Transmission of infectious diseases, phases of transmission.
- Susceptibility of the population to the infection.
- Active and passive vaccination.
- Natural, social-economic factors.
- Global epidemiology, epidemiologic surveillance.
- Programme of eradication and elimination of infectious diseases.
- Principles of control of infectious diseases – elimination of the source, interruption of transmission of infectious agents, measures in a focus of infection.
- required literature
- REQUIRED LITERATURE
- 1. Stone DB, Armstrong WR, Macrina DM, Pankau JW: Introduction to epidemiology. Dubuque, IA - USA: Brown & Benchmark Publishers; 1996. pp 22-63, 115-150.
- 2. Farmer R, Lawrenson R, Miller D: Epidemiology and public health medicine. 5th edition. Oxford - U.K.: Blackwell Publishing; 2004. pp 7-13, 91-126.
- 3. Bakoss P, Baška T, Bazovská S, Kmety E, Maďar R et al: Compendium of epidemiology. Edited by Pavol Bakoss. Bratislava - Slovak Republic: Comenius University Bratislava; 1999. pp 3-138.
- not specified
- ŠMERHOVSKÝ, Zdeněk, Dana GÖPFERTOVÁ and Jitka FEBEROVÁ. Medicína založená na důkazech z pohledu klinické epidemiologie. 1. vydání. Praha: Karolinum, 2007. 245 stran. ISBN 9788024613147. info
- Manuál prevence v lékařské praxi 4 :základy prevence infekčních onemocnění. Edited by Kamil Provazník. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní zdravotní ústav, 1996. 126 s. ISBN 80-7168-400-7. info
- Nozokomiální nákazy. Edited by Helena Šrámová. [1. vyd.]. Praha: MAXDORF-JESSENIUS, 1995. 224 s. ISBN 80-85912-00-7. info
- Manuál prevence v lékařské praxi. Edited by Kamil Provazník - Lumír Komárek. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní zdravotní ústav, 2001. 63 s. ISBN 8070711949. info
- Teaching methods
Reading and studying ALL REQUIRED LITERATURE.
For those who will have to write research projects and seminar papers during third, fourth and fifth year, it is strongly recommended to enrol the following courses:
VSIL021 - Information literacy - (3 credits) - e-learning.
VSKP041 - A course of working with information sources and tools (4 credits).
- Assessment methods
1 To sit for examination, it will be required to have successfully complete the pre-requisite subjects.
2. The examination is a colloquium (oral exam - 1 question on general epidemiology and 1 question on special epidemiology).
To sit for colloquium, it will be required to have the epidemiology of infectious diseases credit - VSEI7X1a).
All colloquium questions are based on ALL REQUIRED LITERATURE, seminars and lectures.
In case of failure, the colloquium can be repeated TWICE, only during examination terms.
***Any attempts of ACADEMIC MISCONDUCT, such as cheating or assisting someone else in cheating during the examination, will result in disciplinary actions, such as:
a-) Failing the examination term. You will be required to hand over your examination paper and asked to leave the examination room. This means, you will have used an examination term, with the respective score F / 4, on your academic records in the information system.
b-) Opening disciplinary proceedings.
c-) Failing the subject / course.
d-) Expulsion from university.
During the examination, it is forbidden to use items such as:
Smart phones / Tablets.
To wear earphones or headphones.
Talking during examination is forbidden and in such case leading to the above mentioned disciplinary actions.
***This subject is part of the Public Health State Examination***.
See complete requirements and seminar papers at - VLZP11XX Public Health - State Exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: in blocks.
- Teacher's information