LF:ZLHE0221c Histology and Embryology I - p - Course Information
ZLHE0221c Histology and Embryology I - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. MUDr. RNDr. Svatopluk Čech, DrSc. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Jana Dumková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Lenka Krejčířová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Irena Lauschová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Ondřej Ráček (seminar tutor)
doc. MUDr. Miroslava Sedláčková, CSc. (seminar tutor)
doc. MUDr. Jitka Šťastná, CSc. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. Drahomír Horký, DrSc.
Department of Histology and Embryology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ZLHE0221c/21: Tue 13:40–15:20 F01B1/126
ZLHE0221c/22: Fri 14:30–16:10 F01B1/126
ZLHE0221c/23: Tue 13:40–15:20 F01B1/126
ZLHE0221c/24: Fri 14:30–16:10 F01B1/126
ZLHE0221c/40: No timetable has been entered into IS.
ZLHE0221c/41: No timetable has been entered into IS.
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ZLAN0131s Anatomy I - seminar && ZC011 Handling chemical substances
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Course objectives
At the end of the course students should be able to:
1. Describe tissue processing for light and electron microscopy. 2. Understand and explain the structure of a cell, basic structural principles and function of connective tissues, features of epithelial tissue, structure of different types of muscle tissue, structure and function of nervous tissue. 3. Identify tissue types and organs of circulatory, lymphatic and respiratory systems in histologic slides. 4. Characterize microscopic structure of some organs of human body and explain correlations of tissues within organs. 5. Describe gamete development, explain principle of meiosis and regulation of gametogenesis. 6. Define the early embryonic development as well as development of fetal membranes, placenta and umbilical cord. 7. Characterize main phases of prenatal development.
- 1. Introduction, organization of practicals, teaching aids. Introduction into histological technique. Overview of tissue processing for light and electron microscopy - explanation and film. Study of hard tissues (bones and teeth). (Explanation and film)
- 2. Cytology: Ultrastructure of the cell nucleus (during interphase and mitosis). Ultrastructure of cell organelles (mitochondria, the Golgi apparatus, the endoplasmic reticulum, ribosomes, lysosomes,peroxisomes, and the centriol). Cell inclusions. Cell surfaces and intercellular junctions. Aids: Atlas of electron micrographs.
- 3. Blood: Blood corpuscles: Cytomorphology of erythrocytes and leukocytes. Differential white cell count (dWCC) - average values, abnormities and terminology of dWCC. Thrombocytes. Slide: A smear of peripheral blood stained by Pappenheim's method. Repetition I: Tissue processing for light and electron microscopy. Cytology (a test). Development of blood cells (hematopoiesis): Erythropoiesis, granulopoiesis and development of thrombocytes. Microscopic structure of the bone marrow. Slide: A bone marrow smear stained by Pappenheim's method.
- 4. General histology: Use of the light microscope, common faults in microscopy. Results of basic staining methods in histology: Hematoxylin-eosine /HE/ (hepar), hematoxylin–eosine-saffron /HES/ (esophagus), AZAN (prostate), impregnation (cerebellum).
- 5. Epithelial tissue - epithelial membranes (covering epithelia). Slides: Ren, Vesica fellea, Trachea, Esophagus, Ureter, Palpebra, Skin from the finger tip. Glandular epithelium. Absorptive, respiratory and sensory epithelia. Slides: Intestinum tenue, Intestinum crassum, Glandula parotis, Glandula submandibularis, Papilla vallata (taste buds)
- 6. Connective tissue proper ans special connetive tissues - classification and examples. Slides: Funiculus umbilicalis, Esophagus, Posterior segment of the eye, Lien, Aorta.Supporting tissues: cartilage and bone. Histogenesis of the bone tissue (ossification). Slides: Trachea, Auricula, Elastic cartilage, Lamellar bone, Chondrogenic ossification. Repetition II:Blood and development of blood cells, connective and supporting tissues (a test).
- 7. Muscle tissue: the smooth, akeletal and crdiac. Slides: Intestinum tenue, Intestinum crassum, Glandula parotis, Glandula submandibularis, Apex linguae, Cardiac muscle tissue (H.E. + staining according to Heidenhain)
- 8. Nerve tissue: neuron, dendrites, neurit and synapses; neuroglia. Slides: Cortex cerebri, Cerebellum, Medulla spinalis, Ganglion spinale, Peripheral nerve, Motor end plate.
- 9. Microscopic anatomy and embryology
- Microscopic structure of the heart and blood vessels. Capillaries. Slides: Artery of the muscular type with a vein, Aorta, Vena cava, Myocardium. Atlas of electron micrographs: Types of capillaries. Repetition III: Epithelial tissue, muscle tissue and nerve tissue (a test).
- 10. Microscopic structure of the lymphatic system. Slides: Lymphonodus, Lien (spleen), Thymus of a young individual, Thymus of the adult (with involution changes), Palatine tonsil, Lingual tonsil.
- 11. Microscopic structure of the respiratory system. Slides: Nasal conchae, Epiglottis, Larynx, Trachea, Pulmo.
- ČECH, Svatopluk, Drahomír HORKÝ, Irena LAUSCHOVÁ, Miroslava SEDLÁČKOVÁ and Jitka ŠŤASTNÁ. Histologická praktika a metody vyšetřování tkání a orgánů (Histological practicals and methods of investigation of tissues and organs). První. Brno: Vydavatelství MU Brno-Kraví hora, 1998. 162 pp. ISBN 80-210-1774-0. info
- Teaching methods
- practicals (course of practical microscopy)
- Assessment methods
- In the course students observe histological slides and electron micrographs in microscopic hall. A precondition for obtaining the course-unit credit is full attendance. Students are obliged to show basic knowledge of studied topic, which is checked by short oral exam or by test 3 times in the semester. Answers are classified with 100, 60, 25 or 0 points. A minimum of points for credit obtaining is 180.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information