LF:AMOLc Intr.mol.biol.gen.-pract. - Course Information
AMOLc Introduction into molecular biology and genetics - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Kateřina Cetkovská, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Kateřina Francová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Ondřej Slabý, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Ondřej Vymazal (seminar tutor)
Jana Růžičková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. MUDr. David Šmajs, Ph.D.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- AMOLc/A: Tue 2. 3. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 9. 3. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 16. 3. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 23. 3. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 30. 3. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 6. 4. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 13. 4. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 20. 4. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 27. 4. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 4. 5. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 11. 5. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 18. 5. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 25. 5. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 1. 6. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a, Tue 8. 6. 15:00–16:40 B07/205a
AMOLc/B: Wed 3. 3. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 10. 3. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 17. 3. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 24. 3. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 31. 3. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 7. 4. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 14. 4. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 21. 4. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 28. 4. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 5. 5. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 12. 5. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 19. 5. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 26. 5. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 2. 6. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a, Wed 9. 6. 9:30–11:10 B07/205a
AMOLc/C: Wed 3. 3. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 10. 3. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 17. 3. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 24. 3. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 31. 3. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 7. 4. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 14. 4. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 21. 4. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 28. 4. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 5. 5. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 12. 5. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 19. 5. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 26. 5. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 2. 6. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a, Wed 9. 6. 7:30–9:10 B07/205a
- (! VSBI0222c Biology II-pract. ) && (! VLBI0222c Biology II-pract. ) && (! ZLBI0222c Biology II-pract. ) && ! NOWANY ( VLBI0222c Biology II-pract. , ZLBI0222c Biology II-pract. ) && (! PřF:Bi1700c Cell Biology - practice )
Knowledge of high school biology on the level of Overview of High School Biology (https://is.muni.cz/auth/do/med/el/overview/overview_CZ.qwarp) or similar.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Biomedicínská technika a bioinformatika (programme LF, C-CV)
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course are:
- learning to operate the light microscope while observing prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells and various cell structures and processes
- understanding the methods of risk evaluation for hereditary diseases in patients, based on family anamneses
- understanding the basic principles of gene engineering
- understanding and practising selected molecular methods used for examination of hereditary and infectious diseases
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course the student will be able to:
- operate the light microscope
- perform some of the basic cytochemical staining techniques in observation of bacterial and human cells
- deduce the impact of selected DNA mutations on the primary structure of proteins
- describe the basic techniques and applications of tissue and cell cultures
- explain the methodology of assembling and examining the karyotype and its use, and to evaluate basic numerical and structural aberrations in assigned human karyotypes
- evaluate the risk of numerical and structural aberrations resulting from meiotic non-disjunctions and chromosomal translocations
- evaluate the risk of monogenic hereditary diseases with autosomal and gonosomal inheritance in patients, based on assigned family anamneses
- suggest and perform basic molecular-genetic diagnostic examinations of some hereditary, tumour and infectious diseases (PCR, restriction digest, gel electrophoresis), and to interpret the obtained results
- explain selected basic techniques of gene engineering and their application in medicine, and, with knowledge of the used method, to select the clones of cells with an inserted gene
- DNA structure and replication
- Expression of genetic information
- Diagnostics of pathogenic bacteria
- Cell cycle analysis
- In vitro cell culture
- Mitosis and meiosis
- Human karyotype and chromosome aberrations
- Autosomal inheritance
- Gonosomal inheritance
- Molecular diagnostics of cancer disease
- Principles of genetic engineering – DNA cloning
- required literature
- Protokoly ke cvičením jsou dostupné v elektronické podobě v Informačním systému MU ve Studijních materiálech předmětu AMOLc
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practice, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Practical classes are mandatory.
Requirements for course completion: full attendance in the practical classes (1 absence, excused or unexcused, is allowed); all protocols completed (also for missed lessons) and checked and signed by appropriate teachers; activity in the practical classes.
In case of student’s late arrival to the practice or poor activity at the practice, the student is required to write an essay in the length of 2 pages on a given topic. Same for the case of 2nd and any additional absence in practices, excused or unexcused. Find the instructions for essay writing in the Course-related instructions in the IS. Bring the essay printed to the teacher who specified the topic, and be ready to answer the teacher's questions regarding the topic.
In case of 3 absences, (or more than 3 absences all excused by the Office for Studies within 5 days from the absence beginning and introduced into the Information System), it is addressed individually and credit is given only after the proof of the student's knowledge of the whole semester topics (Credit test) based on knowledge of the entire semester. The test comprises of 20 questions: 10 test questions (multiple answers can be correct, negative marking is obtained for incorrect answers) + 10 given topics for a written explanation. At least 10 points out of 20 are needed to pass.
In the case of 4 or more unexcused absences, the course-unit credit is not awarded.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 30.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Student nesmí mít absolvovaný ani současně zapsaný předmět Biologie II-cvičení na LF.
- Teacher's information
What to bring to each practice: printed protocol for the respective practice, your own writing materials. Download the protocol for each practice from the Study materials in the IS, and study it in advance. Lab shoes, lab coats and disposable gloves are not required, but for the tasks with staining, lab coats are recommended.
Substitution of practices: In exceptional cases (illness, appointment at the doctor’s or foreign policy, 1 or 2 times per semester as maximum) student can arrange a substitution with another group. To arrange a substitution, write an e-mail to the contact person of the course at least 24 hours before your planned substitution and specify the group (date and time) you would like to attend instead. Substitution is only possible on the same teaching week. When the capacity of the group you intended to substitute with is fully used, the substitution does not need to be approved. Repeated substitution with other groups is not allowed.
Complete Biology instructions to be found at the following link: