PřF:Z8108 Remote sensing - Course Information
Z8108 Remote sensingFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Petr Dobrovolný, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jan Štrof (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Rudolf Brázdil, DrSc.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Petr Dobrovolný, CSc.
- Tue 8:00–9:50 G2,02003
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
Z8108/02: Mon 15:00–15:50 Z1,01001b, J. Štrof
Z8108/03: Tue 17:00–17:50 Z1,01001b, J. Štrof
Z8108/04: Mon 14:00–14:50 Z1,01001b, J. Štrof
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- KREDITY_MIN ( 60 )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 80 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/80, only registered: 0/80
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course, students should be able to understand and be able to explain the following topics: Concepts and foundations of Remote Sensing. Energy sources and radiation principles, energy interactions in the atmosphere and with the Earth surface features. Electromagnetic spectrum and its basic parts used in Remote Sensing. History of Remote Sensing. Ideal and real Remote Sensig system. Methods of Remote Sensing. Spectral reflectance curves. Basic elements of photographic systems. Principles of multispectral images. Multispectral, thermal and hyperspectral scanning. Satellite systems. Basic orbits. Characteristic of Earth resources satellites and Meteorological satellites. Principles of photointerpretation. Principles of photogrammetry and orthophoto. Principles of digital image processing. Utilization of pictures nad images in geographical disciplines. Student should be able to understand basic features of remote sensing data and methods explained in individual lectures. He/she would be able to explain when to apply individual data and make reasoned decisions about preconditions that are necessary for proper utilization of RS methods in question. He/she would be able to work with information on satellite data preparation, make deductions based on acquired knowledge concerning remotely sensed data and properly interpret results of multispectral image classification.
- 1. Definition of Remote Sensing (RS) 2. Physical basis of RS, radiation laws 3. Spectral characteristics of objects. Spectral signatures of basic surfaces. 4. Aerial photography and arerial imaging, flight planing, interpretation of aeriaa photography. 5. Digital imagery. RS Satellite systems 6. Basic features of digital imagery 7. Thermal RS, feaatures of thermal imagery 8. Microwave RS, active RS, features of RADAR imagery. 9. Current satellite systems. Meterorological satellites 10. Current satellite systems on Earth resorces 11. RS Change detection 12. Selected aplications of RS methods 13. Thematic and topographic mapping from satellites, data sources
- LILLESAND, Thomas M., Ralph W. KIEFER and Jonathan W. CHIPMAN. Remote sensing and image interpretation. 5th ed. Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, 2004. xiv, 763. ISBN 0471152277. info
- CAMPBELL, James B. Introduction to remote sensing. New York: Guilford Press, 1987. xxiv, 551. ISBN 0-89862-776-1. info
- Advances in environmental remote sensing. Edited by F. Mark Danson - Stephen E. Plummer. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 1995. 184 s. ISBN 0471954640. info
- DOBROVOLNÝ, Petr. Dálkový průzkum Země. Digitální zpracování obrazu. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1998. 208 s. ISBN 8021018127. info
- LILLESAND, Thomas M. and Ralph W. KIEFER. Remote sensing and image interpretation. 3rd ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1994. xvi, 750. ISBN 0471577839. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures explaining basic terms of remote sensing (RS) and presenting individual examples using RS data and methods step by step. Practical training based on 11 exercises that are solved using satelite imagery and image processing software.
- Assessment methods
- Lecture and compulsory practical class exercises. Sucessfull pass of all exercises is necessary pre-requisite of written test on theory of RS.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses